84. The Hot Blooded King of Ice, Wulfric

"Welcome to the Snowbelle City gym, young 'un!" A white bearded man wearing a heavy blue jacket greeted Axel with a hearty laugh as the young boy with messy hair slid clumsily into view, shivering head to toe with snow.

Luna sighed as she watched from the audience stand. Having arrived at Snowbelle City, Axel decided to go right for his 7th gym badge. However, with the gym challenge being a snow maze on ice, Axel, who was completely unathletic, kept on slipping on the ice and crashing into the snow covered walls. The fact that Axel was useless at directions also didn't help, as he ran (or rather, crashed) into dead end after dead end.

Honestly, Luna was surprised that it only took him around an hour and a half to complete the simple labyrinth— she was certain it'll take at least 2 to 3 hours.

Axel rubbed his hands together to warm them up. Taking another step forward on the icy field, he slipped yet again, landing awkwardly as he held his elbow in pain.

"Wulfric. Sir," Axel barely managed to stand up and maintain his balance, trying hard to regain his composure, "I'm here for a gym battle. If you don't mind."

"No time to lose then!" He laughed, "Show me your fiery passion in a 3 on 3 battle, kid!"

The referee nodded, signalling both sides to send out their Pokemon.

Axel pulled out his first Pokeball, sending Yako onto the battlefield. It spread its wings out wide with a screech, spreading embers around.

"Y'know, ice is both extremely hard and terribly fragile at the same time. You know what that means? Depending on which Pokemon you choose and what moves they use, my strengths change as well! Anyways, let's get this show on the road! Come out, Avalugg!"

A giant Pokémon resembling an iceberg landed on the ice with a huge thump, roaring as frost clouds curled around it.

"Let the battle begin!" The referee announced.

"Yako! Flame Charge!" Axel ordered without a moment to waste, aiming to raise Yako's speed. Yako dove at Avalugg like a jet, clad in a coat of flames. The sturdy Pokémon took the attack like nothing, snorting out a cloud of frost.

"Avalanche!"

Much to Axel's shock, a dark cloud formed above Yako. Gigantic chunks of ice plundged down from it, striking the bird Pokémon down.

Avalanche is a decreased priority move, and does double the damage if the user takes damage on the same turn! Axel understood the disadvantage he was at right away. His plan to increase Yako's speed was just completely turned against him.

He ran through his brain for countermeasures, only to find none. Storming in through brute force won't work! I've got to find a way!

How about...

Flame Charge + Steel Wing:

"Scorching Wingbeat!"

Yako darted around the battlefield with Flame Charge, disorientating Avalugg with its complicated movements. However, Wulfric doesn't seem to be dazed at the very least, keeping his cool.

Charge up: complete.

Heated up by Flame Charge, Yako's Steel Wing glowed bright red, having reached its maximum heating potential. If this hits, it is sure to deal heavy damage.

"Roar!" Wulfric shouted as Yako dove towards Avalugg with its supercharged attack. Right before the attack hit, Avalugg let out an almighty roar. Yako was pulled into its Pokeball by force, dragging out a confused Froxel instead.

"Gyro Ball!"

Before Axel could register the situation, Gyro Ball had already landed a hit on an unguarded Froxel, slamming it into the icy wall. Given the huge difference in speed, the attack surely did a lot of damage.