82. Sparkle and Shine, Luna!

"Are you nervous?" Axel asked as Luna paced around the entrance of the showcase hall for the fifth time.

"Of course I'm not!" Luna said stubbornly.

"We've been in Aquacorde for two days," Axel sighed, "I've been researching for two days, leaving you to sign up for the showcase, and you still haven't managed to do just that?"

"I—" Luna had no excuse for that. Currently, it was 3 hours until the start of the showcase, and she has yet to make her decision after over a week of consideration. On one hand, she wanted to join the showcase, she's been practicing for this day. But on the other hand, she was so nervous.

"Are you scared? Of losing?"

"I'm not!"

"Do you want to join the showcase or not?"

"I want to, but..."

"Then we're going in," Axel said decisively, grabbing Luna by the wrist.

"H—hey!" Luna stuttered as Axel dragged her into the showcase hall.

"Look," he looked into her eyes, "there's no use hesitating. If you want to do it, go for it. You were amazing on stage last time. Didn't you have fun?"

"What if... I mess up again?" Luna looked at the crowd as she spoke, "plus the other competitors, they all look experienced."

"Even if they do, I'll still be cheering for you," Axel said truthfully, "now get up there and charm the crowd!"

That was what Axel said as he ran off into the crowd, leaving Luna alone to make her decision. She reached into her bag for her phone, only to grab hold of a small box. Inside it was a bar of chocolate, a note, and a ticket.

'If you really can't handle the pressure, you can join me in the audience stand,' Luna read through Axel's handwriting, 'but I truly hope to see you on stage enjoying the spotlight.'

Luna smiled as she picked up the chocolate, which had the words 'good luck' scribbled on the wrapper. She folded the note and ticket away, tucking them into her pocket.

Guess I won't be joining Axel today.

Once again being alone in the audience, Axel sent out Pika to accompany him. Pika's cheeks crackled energetically as it bounded up and down on Axel's lap.

"Come on, Pika, calm down. No jumping around, okay?" He lectured his Pokémon. Pika settled down, accidentally whacking Axel in the face with its tail. It giggled. Despite evolving, Pika had not become any more mature, remaining the mischievous little rodent.

Axel removed Pika from his lap, placing it on the seat beside him— one that he reserved for Luna in case she decided to back out of the showcase. Pika stretched its feet, curling up on the seat comfortably.

"Excuse me, man, 'tis seat D23?" A pale boy who looked a few years older than him asked.  He had light, messy auburn curls and wore a midnight black hoodie with a rainbow coloured mightyena embroidered on the chest and back.

Axel took a glance at his sharp eyes, "oh, yeah. It is," he said, removing Pika from the seat. Luna must've given the ticket to him. She's such a nice and kind person.

"Thanks, man," the boy said, sitting down with his legs crossed, "name's Jacob. Nice to meetcha."

The waiting room was full of excited and anxious performers. The open stage was displayed on various monitors around the room so performers could watch other performances live.