On The Rooftop

"I-I-I'm not sure about this, Dante," Tsukune said, his arms feeling weak and heavy. His body shook in the surprisingly warm light of the sun. He looked around the roof of Yokai Academy, sweat falling from his head like rain as his blank eyes turned back to Dante, "I-I-I-I don't think I can do this."

Dante, standing off to one side of Tsukune, shook his head, "Look, Lover Boy. If you're planning to stay at this school, you're gonna have to learn to defend yourself. The first thing we gotta try is the easiest way for a human like yourself to stand up to monsters."

"With a gun!?" Tsukune said, having difficulty holding Ivory in both hands. Partially because of how heavy the gun felt, and partially because he was scared out of his mind. When the high schooler had first learned that Dante wanted to help him, he was completely ecstatic. The fact that there was someone in this school he could turn to for help comforted him greatly. Especially when he learned that Dante was human like him. It meant he wasn't completely alone in this school for monsters.

That changed when Dante handed him a gun, led him up to the school roof, told Moka-chan to stay in the school, then told him to shoot his gun at Dante's brother Vergil the Patron Librarian!

Now?

Now, Tsukune thought Dante was insane.

And, judging by how Vergil didn't seem bothered at all by the fact that Dante, his own brother, told Tsukune to shoot a gun at him, he was certain that Vergil was just as insane.

As the high schooler stood on the roof, knees knocking together as he held Ivory in both hands, Vergil shook his head in frustration. He turned to his brother, "This isn't going to work, Dante. The child clearly doesn't have the stomach for this."

Dante dismissed his brother's concerns with a wave of his hand, "Don't count him out yet, Vergil. He hasn't even started aiming yet. Here, let me help ya out there."

Dante got to his feet and walked over to the trembling high school student. Tsukune didn't dare flinch lest the gun go off in his hand. Dante took up position next to Tsukune, gently grabbed his right arm, then helped him move it up. The entire time he was instructing the kid on how to properly hold a firearm.

"See, holding a gun like this one handed? That's not gonna work for you. What ya gotta do, is hold it in both hands. Have them covering the grip on both sides, while your finger's on the trigger. Stay away from the slides, and watch out for this here ejector. If your fingers or thumbs are anywhere near that, you'll lose 'em," Dante kept slightly adjusting Tsukune's stance. Only when the boy's shaking had calmed somewhat and he was properly gripping the weapon did Dante let go.

Dante made a rectangle with his fingers and thumbs, centering Tsukune in his vision. He nodded as he did so, "Alright, you're good kid. Now pull the trigger."

"What?! No!" Tsukune shook his head, his shaking coming back.

Dante rolled his eyes, "Lover Boy, listen. You want to stick around here, right?"

"No!"

"Then you're alright with leaving Fangs alone without any friends?" Dante jerked a thumb towards the entrance to the roof.

Tsukune understood that he was talking about Moka. He audibly gulped as he answered, "M-M-Moka-chan is a-a-a vampire. I'm sure she'll make more friends here. In a school of monsters."

"Maybe, but she wants to be friends with you," Dante pointed at Tsukune. The boy's expression turned into one of confusion. Dante clicked his tongue, "Don't tell me you didn't notice it, Lover Boy? Even after I tossed ya one of the ladies, she didn't leave your side for a second. She likes you. And if you leave, she'll be pretty dang sad."