Chapter 13

Two months later

Ratneshwari was sitting near the window. She was looking outside. She saw the couple who lived in their neighbouring house.

They were talking to each other. The wife was laughing very loudly. Her husband was smiling at her.

Ratneshwari also had the habit of talking a lot. She had no one to talk except Shivan. She used to say various things to him - about the trees, about vegetables, about the vegetable vendor, about the women in the neighborhood, about movies. But he did not speak much. He used to nod at her and speak one or two words. Most of the times, he did not reply to her. That did not bother Ratneshwari. She continued to talk to him.

But deep down, it was hurting her somewhere. She wanted him to smile at her, look at her and talk with her. She never tried to think why he was not talking to her normally. She thought,"Perhaps, he doesn't talk much. He is not a chatterbox like me."

She continued to look outside. She saw two birds. They were mates. Then she remembered something. They had not yet consummated their marriage. Shivan did not even touch her, let alone consummate the marriage. She thought, "Just two months have passed. Perhaps, he needs some more time."

Ratneshwari had fallen in love with Shivan. Many a times, she found herself looking at him with lust. She never felt that it was wrong. He was her husband and she was his wife. There is nothing wrong in lusting after one's husband.

She went to visit her parents last week. She attended the naming ceremony of the newborn child of one of her cousins along with her mother. She heard the conversation between her mother and another lady who was her distant relative.

"Anni,how is Ratneshwari?Is she happy?"

"Yes, she is very happy."

"Is there any good news?"

"No, there is no good news till now. But we hope to hear a good news soon."

Ratneshwari thought,"What's the hurry? These ladies!! We haven't even consummated our marriage. How will I get pregnant?"

When Ratneshwari was thinking all these, she heard her phone ring. She picked up the phone and saw that it was her brother who had called. She received the call.

"Hello Anna! How are you? I miss you so much."

"I am fine, dear. I miss you too. How are you?"

"I am fine."

"What are you doing now?Are you busy?"

"Not at all, Anna. I am not busy. I was just sitting near the window and looking outside."

"How is Shivan?"

"He is fine."

"Are you happy?"

"Yes Anna. I am happy. There is nothing to worry about."

"Ok, bye"

"Bye? You just called!! "

"Actually, I am busy. I am getting late for my class. I don't know why I suddenly felt like talking to you. That's why I called you."

"Okay Anna. Go and take your class. Bye bye"

"Bye. Take care"

Ratneshwari ended the call. She decided to go to the kitchen and cook something for the dinner.

She entered the kitchen and started chopping the vegetables.

She liked to cook for Shivan. She liked it when he used to eat the food cooked by her. He never complimented on her cooking. But he never complained either. He ate whatever his wife served him.

Ratneshwari was humming a tune while chopping the vegetables.

She thought, "Won't it be a good idea to gift him something? I will write a love letter and give it to him. He will surely like it."

(After 1 hour)

Ratneshwari had finished cooking. She decided to write the love letter. She took a pen ✒ and paper. She started writing.

Dear Shiv,

I have always wanted to say these things to you. But, I did not get the chance to do so.

I started to develop feelings for you, the moment I saw you for the first time. I still remember that day. You came to our house. I did not know that my parents were planning my marriage. Trust me! I got to know about it all of a sudden. I was a little nervous. I did not know what would happen.

Then, I saw you. Do you know one thing? I never had any boyfriend. I had never fallen in love earlier. When I saw you, I was lost. You looked so handsome. Your majestic moustache, your hair cut, your perfectly ironed clothes and everything else impressed me. Your voice was so deep. I loved your voice and the way you were talking to Anna. That was the moment when I realised that you are the one who will rule my heart like a king.

Your eyes are very beautiful. They have some magic in them. When, I look into your eyes, I do not feel like looking anywhere else.

In these two months, I got to know a lot about you. I have fallen in love with you. Yes, it is true. I love you. You are my first love and you will be my last love.

I want to be with you forever. I want to live with you and die in your arms.

Yours forever
Ratneshwari

After finishing the letter, Ratneshwari folded it. She decided to give it to him when he returned. She was very excited. She had so much love for him. She could not wait to express it in front of him.

She mixed scent in water and took bath with it. She wore a blue printed cotton sari with a blue blouse. She dried her hair and plaited it in a French braid. She applied vermillion in her partition and wore a bindi. She adorned herself with simple gold earrings and simple bangles.

Then she started waiting for her beloved husband.