- 5 -

Lola walked into the Mess Hall, she looked around for Tommy and saw Joan waving to her, signalling a free space on the table beside Tommy. Lola walked towards the table as she heard the campers talking about what happened in the infirmary cabin with Nurse Lane and her daughter, wondering if Colour War was going to be cancelled and Sunnyvalers blaming everything on the Shadysiders.

"Hey, baby and mommy," Joan said quietly as Lola sat beside Tommy, casting her a 'shut up' look.

"She said one way or another, I was gonna die tonight," Tommy said.

"Spooky!" Gary said, jokingly.

"Honey..." Lola said as she took hold of his hand.

"The kiddos are right. That's, like, total witchy behaviour," Joan said.

"It's just, there must be some explanation. The witch isn't real," Cindy said.

"Even if it is real, the witch is dead... Witches were burnt and hanged... Sarah was hanged," Sean looked at Lola, "No offence," Sean said.

"Meh, my whole family deals with the Sarah Fier witch stuff, not the first time it's mentioned," Lola said as she shrugged her shoulders.

"What kind of explanation, C?" Tommy asked.

"Well, maybe..." Cindy stopped mid-sentence as she watched Joan rolling a joint, "Maybe she was on something," Cindy said.

Joan scoffed, "Drugs are peaceful, not violent," Joan said.

"She's not talking about marijuana," Lola sighed, "And they're only peaceful if they're not misused," Lola said

"Just admit you're scared Cindy, we won't tell," Cindy rolled her eyes as Gary looked at Lola as he hugged Tommy, "And Lola's just jealous her ancestor wanted to take her hubby all for herself!" Gary said playfully.

Lola hugged Tommy and glared at Gary, "Hands off," Lola said.

Gary pulled away from Tommy and raised his hands in defence, "The Queen of Shadyside has spoken, I will not touch your hubby," Gary said and bowed.

Lola rolled her eyes and kissed Tommy's cheek as Tommy gently pulled Lola's arms off of his and held her hands, "Be serious, Gary. Why would Nurse Mary wanna do something like that? Why would she want me dead?" Tommy said.

"Oh, no. She wouldn't," Gary said.

Gary and Joan looked at each other and smiled, "But the witch might!" Gary and Joan said jokingly then Joan laughed.

Tommy shifted in his seat and Lola looked at him, moving closer, "Hey... They're just playing around. This way nothing, I promise," Tommy looked at her, "Just a heartbroken woman lashing out, that's all," Lola said as she tried to convince herself as well as her boyfriend.

"Did you see her eyes? I don't know... There was something in there, something wrong," Tommy said.

"Oh, Tommy..." She rested her head on his shoulder, "I will do whatever it takes to help you," Lola said.