Chapter 6 - My Name Is Death: The Last Best Friend Am I

The group reappears back in the auditorium of which the “star gate” originally opened up and let loose an army of machine elves upon the earth.

Inside, the portal itself which had been destroyed by Alf and then decommissioned by NASA is standing squarely in the middle of the auditorium stage, apparently fully repaired.

The three stare at the gateway in disbelief as Alf growls lowly.

Jorg: Ohhhhh....SHI-

And before he can finish speaking the gateway activates, the gyroscope whirls around feverishly and the gears of the gate begin to spin:

CLICK-CLACK-CLICKETY-CLACK!

FFZZZZZZT!

The gateway emits a blinding white light that encompasses the entire auditorium as the four are swept away unto the astral plane.

Their disembodied minds are swept through the past to a short time ago, high above the city as it burns and the machine elves wreak havoc amongst mankind.

Luna: .......what is this?

Alpha: Another message.

Suddenly the four are consumed in a wave of empathic feeling as visions and words conjoined together within their minds slowly formulate into a singular thought:

They see men falling on their knees and crying out in pain as everything they thought they knew is weathered away from their minds, they see people frantically reaching out clinging to that sense of self as it withers away into nothingness, and they watch as these people find new ways to identify themselves and the world around them.

Through it all they can hear the joyful, melodic, disembodied voices of the machine elves speaking throughout time:

Machine Elves: WE HAVE SOMETHING TO SHOW YOU!

Machine Elves: WATCH!

Machine Elves: WE WANNA PLAY!

Then, just as suddenly as it began the four awoke, sprawled out upon the floor of the auditorium.

Alpha: “And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth beast say, Come and see.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.”

Luna: I thought you didn’t care for religion?

Alpha: I don’t, but I know it all too well...