Chapter 13 - Another Angel Came and Stood Upon the Alter

As our heroes look on in amusement at the discombobulated holy man; now holding the plaintive puppy in the air above his head, caught in an ever increasing state of wonder.

A solitary figure slowly steps out of the eerily silent crowd and approaches the square.

Masked in a white hoodie, as the figure approaches Alpha can hear a familiar voice repeating very familiar words spoken to him once long, long ago.

Minerva: Now that’s the Nephilim I remember...

Alpha reels in surprise, greeting his long lost love.

Alpha: Minerva! It’s you! You’re back!?

Jorg chimes in excitedly.

Jorg: Minnie!

Suddenly, Alf scrambles from out of the preacher’s grasp and jumps into the arms of the mysterious, alien female as she tosses back her hood revealing long, silver hair and a purple tinted complexion.

She pets the young dog as he licks her face furiously and whimpers with content.

Minerva: Good boy! Thank you little one!

Jorg responds with curiosity.

Jorg: Minnie, you know Alf!?

Minerva answers with an air of serenity.

Minerva: Well I should, I’m the one who gifted him to you!

Jorg responds with astonishment.

Jorg: You did!?

Minerva answers with a smile

Minerva: Yes I did, Nephilim. You see, I knew the two of you needed a friend. And that I’d need a little help reaching you.

She glances at Alpha bashfully

Alpha answers knowingly

Alpha: This was all you wasn’t it? The fallen satellite, the seven seals. I knew I thought I felt you but I assumed it was a trick of the mind.

Minerva: Yes, it was me.

Luna begins to speak.

Luna: But why? Why construct all of this just to reach out to these two!?

Minerva answers patiently

Minerva: I’d discovered you and “Jorg” is it? Returned to earth not long after your confrontation with the beast.

Luna: Legion!?

Minerva: Yes!

Minerva: But something had changed about you. You were colder, angry, bitter. I knew this was my doing. And so I planted Alf; watched and waited until I saw an opportunity to help you return you to your old ways.

Alpha steps foreword towards Minerva and as he speaks to her a faint melody can be heard trailing throughout the square from behind.

Serenading everything within the square as the two speak. It is the melody of “Purple Rain” by Prince.

Alpha: You did all of this....just to get through to me?

Minerva: Yes, Nephilim. And I’m so sorry that I’d ever left you. I have missed you for millennia.

Alpha: But what about the one you left with? Your partner?

Minerva: We parted ways long ago. I was wrong about him but when I realized that it was far too late. Some things you just can’t force, some things that one might have another might not.

Minerva: He just....wasn’t you. And when I discovered you’d fled the Earth with Jorg, that you had exiled yourselves; I felt ashamed. I felt a loss like no other. So I too exiled myself for so very long, torn over the loss of the one I knew I truly loved.

Alpha begins to shed tears as the melody of the song builds.

Alpha: I love you too!

And so the two embrace, as they do Minerva giggles and as Alpha turns to look at what has garnered her attention, he sees Jorg holding a big Bluetooth speaker above his head while Luna stands beside him holding her cellular phone.

Luna: .....He made me do it!

Jorg: I ONLY WANNA SEE YOU UNDERNEATH THE PURPLE RAIN!

Alpha: Fuck you, Jorg!

And as Alpha speaks; Jorg proceeds to power slide, moonwalk, and dance tailed closely by his faithful puppy.

Jorg: HONEY I KNOW-I KNOW-I KNOW TIMES ARE CHANGIN’!

As Alpha curses at Jorg in embarrassment, as the two females find friendship in laughter and as a misguided preacher continues to worship a small dog;  our story ends.