Chapter 12 - Sanctified by The Furry One

Bobby Wafer sprints towards Alpha enraged as Alpha uses his telekinesis to sling the shoe back at the preacher, knocking him onto his ass.

Bobby Wafer: LIES! Blasphemous LIES! You’re not him, not MY God! Yours is a falsehood! A machination to break the faith!

Alpha responds calmly.

Alpha: No I’m not, I never was to begin with. The man, the myth, the legend; were falsehoods. All I ever did was act on heart.

Bobby Wafer: MORE LIES! He died for our sins!

Jorg chimes in cheeringly

Jorg: Sins!?! SINS?? What is man without his sin? We all sin, especially your kind. To seek salvation through the denial of one’s own weakness, one’s own lower nature is a denial of the self. Silly preacher; you can never be washed of your own sins, you can only seek atonement for them. And no god can give you that, only you.

Bobby Wafer boils with even more anger and shouts in response.

Bobby Wafer: NOT MY GOD! MY GOD IS A RIGHTEOUS GOD! HE IS A PURE GOD. THE ONLY GOD!

Alpha answers with an uncharacteristic air of patience

Alpha: I think the problem you’re having is that your own will and your own God are one in the same. Just like men before you and men who will come after; you subvert your own will upon others because it’s the only way you can reconcile the world you live in and your place within it.

Luna speaks angrily

Luna: In short, you see yourself as the God  whose word you claim to speak. Preacher!

Bobby Wafer: FALSEHOODS AND LIES!

Jorg, who has finally had enough of the preacher’s stubbornness reaches into his coverall pocket. Retrieves a single, small, glowing crystal and begins to speak as he rubs it between the palms of his hands.

Jorg: You know what preacher!?? I’ve had enough of your poisonous, rotten, evil horseshit! Time to take care of business.

Luna: Don’t you hurt him Jorg!

Jorg turns his head to face Luna and begins to grin mischievously as he responds amongst maniacal laughter.

Jorg: Hurt him? HURT HIM!?!? Nah Luna....I’m gonna do something much worse. I’m gonna take his crutch away!

Jorg raises a single palm full of exocrystal dust at eye level and blows it into the preacher’s face.

Bobby Wafer stumbles backwards, coughs and chokes on the plume of exocrystal dust.

Suddenly, the irises of his eyes begin to expand and dilate as he falls to his knees groaning and muttering incomprehensibly.

As the preacher slowly raises his head his gaze falls upon the puppy, Alf who is panting with his tongue puckered out, unfettered by the events playing out all around him.

As the preacher’s gaze meets Alf’s he sees the young dog bathed in a golden, glowing silhouette and begins to formulate comprehensive words.

Bobby Wafer: G-O-D is....an anagram for D-O-G.

Bobby Wafer: DOG! It’s YOU!

Alf cocks his head to the side and whimpers curiously.

Bobby Wafer: This WHOLE TIME! This creature is the one TRUE GOD.

Alf barks approvingly in response and licks the preacher’s face.

Bobby Wafer: I HAVE BEEN SANCTIFIED BY THE FURRY ONE!

Jorg answers with cheering laughter

Jorg: YOU’RE DOG DAMNED RIGHT!

Luna sighs while placing her hand against her head.

Luna: Oh dear...