Chapter 8 - The Messy Business Of Being A Messiah

A short time later our heroes can be seen in a familiar setting, a certain barroom Jorg and Luna’s eyes are glued to a television set displaying an urgent news report as Alpha glances downwards, sullen, in a deep, deep state of contemplation.

The news report is relaying a story of very recent events concerning the three. Several fringe religious groups, cults, organized religions and outspoken theologists have arisen and United in consequence of the heavenly signs revealed around the earth. Many worshippers have become convinced that the end of times has come to humanity. And as people everywhere await the apocalypse; innumerable instances of civil unrest, violence, outrage, and cult worship have raged all across the world as we once knew it.

Luna: This is insane....

Jorg: Leave it to humanity to drastically blow shit out of proportion.

Meanwhile Alpha is uncharacteristically quiet.

Luna looks at Alpha quizzically

Luna: ....Alpha?

He does not respond.

Luna: ALPHA!?!?!

He glanced towards her sadly.

Alpha: This.....this is all my fault.

Luna: What? What do you mean?

Alpha doesn’t respond.

Luna: YOU KNOW SOMETHING DON’T YOU!?!

Alpha: ....

Luna: He’s alive isn’t he? You know what this is and you’re hiding something!

Alpha looks down and doesn’t respond.

Jorg: I think you need to tell her Alpha.

Alpha looks at Jorg pleadingly

Alpha: I...I..can’t Jorg...I don’t want to talk about it.

Jorg: If you don’t tell her I will...

Luna: TELL ME WHAT!?!?

Alpha sighs deeply and then looks at Luna sadly.

Alpha: He is dead; he did die a long, long time ago because I killed him.

Luna glares at Alpha in confused bewilderment.

Luna: WHAT!?! You killed Jesus Christ?? The son of god? Jesus of Nazareth?? YOU killed him??!

Alpha: Figuratively speaking, yes I did...

Luna: What do you mean??

Alpha: I was him, the teachings you know as “Christianity” were mine. I founded it, I was the catalyst for it-but....but it wasn’t supposed to be what it became, humanity...twisted it...defiled it...used it to commit atrocities against one another. So I took Jorg and I left. I left you bastards to your ruin and that thing inside of me that made me care...I killed it... I buried it and left it deep, deep down. But here it is...staring me in the face once more.

Luna: But what about the man? The figure from our history?

Jorg: He was some poor whore mongering carpenter the Romans picked up an executed as a scapegoat.

Luna: Why didn’t you guys tell me?

Alpha: I DID LUNA! I told you when we first met that we have tried to raise you people out of your own ignorance time and time again. I GAVE IT UP! I’ve carried my penance for it for thousands of years.

....I just wanted peace, to cut ties with it and bury it so far that maybe one day I could forget.

Luna: But why!?! Why do it in the first place? Why run from it? Why do you seem so hurt over it? You’ve been uncharacteristically sad for days? This isn’t like you at all..what you’re saying doesn’t seem anything like you either.

Jorg: People change Luna....

In a fit of rage Alpha unleashes a wave of telekinetic energy that sweeps glassware, barstools, the television and an unwitting bartender onto the floor.

Bartender: FUCKING ASSHOLE!!

Alpha: I....I DON’T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!!

And before Luna or Jorg can respond Alpha blips away, this time alone.

Jorg looks at Luna compassionately

Jorg: Why do men do the things they do?

Luna looks back confusedly

Jorg: For love, we’re not so different...