Chapter 7 - Mesoamerican Martyrs

The group blips one last time to a landmark left behind of one of their recent adventures together. And as Alpha, Jorg, Luna, and Alf phase into existence nearby a crater left behind from the departing lizard people; a familiar voice can be heard shouting amongst a crowd of fervent believers.

In the distance, our heroes view the smug face of the preacher upon the screen of a hand held tablet being held up high into the air by yet another member of his flock as he addresses them in an international video conference.

Bobby Wafer: HE! HAS! RISEN!
Bobby Wafer: Our lord and savior has descended from heaven to lead us to the promise land and what have you done to earn his grace!?!

The preacher can now be seen on the screen pointing a shaky, accusative finger towards a bewildered Luna.

Bobby Wafer: OR YOU!?!?!

The preacher is now furiously furrowing his brow and pointing at Alpha who is glaring back, unamused.

Bobby Wafer: OR YOU!?!

The preacher on the screen turns his glare of condemnation towards Jorg and points with a shaky, accusative finger.

Bobby Wafer: OR YO-

Jorg interrupts the preacher with his little alien fists balled up tightly, yelling back at the holy man menacingly.

Jorg: FUCK WITH ME AND GET BODIED!

Luna: Get out of the way! CLEAR OUT! MOVE IT!

As the crowd of believers give way and allow the group to approach the massive crater; the three peer down to see edge of a newly revealed stone edifice mostly buried beneath the dirt, rubble, and debris of the emancipated; ancient spacecraft that once towered above it.

Luna: What is that?

Alpha: It looks like a structure of some sort.

The preacher interjects; his attendant now standing beside the group and aiming the tablets camera down towards the buried piece of lost history.

Bobby Wafer: The remnants of a bygone era of savagery and ignorance...

Jorg smirks at the preacher on the screen mischievously.

Jorg: Bygone!?!? Bygones are never really gone, silly human.

Alpha steps closer to the edge of the crater and begins using his telekinesis to unearth the debris, dirt, and rubble encompassing the bottom of the crater.

Gently uncovering a stone monument, littered with the bones and skeletal remains of hundreds if not thousands of human cadavers.

Luna: Oh....my....god

Luna: WHAT IS THIS!?!?

Alpha: A sacrificial alter...

The preacher's pinkened, angry face can be seen fuming on the attendants screen as he once again interjects belligerently.

Bobby Wafer: NOT MY GOD! Murder in the name of a heathen god!

Alpha glares at the preacher on the attendants tablet discontentedly.

Alpha: Your God is dead, preacher. And I find it disgustingly ironic that you people never change. You did this shit then and you do it still, now, everyday of your lives. Just a little less obvious, a little more convoluted, sprinkled with an endearing mythos of fantastical bullshit.

The preacher upon the tablet replies without hesitation.

Bobby Wafer: “And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God”

Bobby Wafer: My God is alive! And he is here to bring retr-

Alpha: You know what? I think I've had enough of your rhetoric preacher.

*Alpha reaches to terminate the zoom meeting upon the attendants tablet as Jorg goads him excitedly.

Jorg: YEAH! DROP THE CALL!

Bobby Wafer: You don't drop a conference call WITH THE LORD!

Jorg: PUT THE LORD ON HOLD!

Bobby Wafer: GOD WILL NOT FORGIVE YOU! DON'T YOU DARE PUT THE LORD ON H-

*Alpha did infact "put the lord on hold".

Jorg curiously remarks aloud as he gazes around their surroundings confusedly.

Jorg: Wait....Where is Alf?

Luna: You really need to keep a leash on him Jorg.

Jorg: I’LL NOT SUBJECT MY WARD TO THE IMPRISONMENTS AND ENTRAPMENTS OF MANKIND! HE IS FREE TO GO WHERE HE WANTS AND WHERE HE’S NEEDED!

Luna: FINE...

Alpha: He never gets too far, he’s got to be around here somewhere. Let’s just split up and look for him.

The three quickly split up to search for the young puppy amongst the crowd of jeering believers until Alf is finally spotted by a lone Alpha.

The puppy can be seen eagerly wagging his tail and cooing as a feminine figure masked in a white hoodie is crouched down, petting him softly.

As Alpha witnesses the display of benevolent affection playing out before him by the mysterious figure he’s hit with a wave of emotion.

A long, long lost emotion to Alpha. One that he’d given up on ever feeling again. As the wave of feeling chills him to his core and shakes his very soul; Alpha becomes lost in a memory he’d spent ages locking away inside of himself. That he’d hoped he’d forgotten completely.

He remembers words spoken to him by someone that was once very, very dear to him a very long time ago:

Feminine Voice: You have to teach them, protect them, love them like they’re your children. Because they are...they’re OUR children.

Alpha now speaks aloud the words he once said in response so long ago.

Alpha: I can’t....not without you!

As the little alien finally regains control of himself he races towards the last place that he saw the mysterious figure petting Alf to find the young puppy squatting on the ground alone; staring back at Alpha curiously, it’s head cocked to the side.

Alpha picks up the puppy and cradles it, lost in thought and sorrow he repeats the words spoken once again:

Alpha: I can’t...