19.5 | Predicament

C H A N C E Y

I had just made a bad joke, and she laughed anyway. Well, she tried to hide that she was laughing at the pathetic joke I made about taking her to the zoo as if she was my child. Then I proceeded to hint that this could be a date if she wanted it to be, and then Indigo went quiet.

She was beautiful today, as she was always. But it was different. Indigo was at ease with me, more than she'd been in years, and it was like we were closer to how we were before. Things between us were starting to become normal now, even when I risked our friendship by saying stupid things like I just did.

"That was a joke," I told her, wanting to eliminate the awkward tension. "We'll go on a date when you're ready. You ask me, and I'll take you wherever you like."

If I told her I purchased two tickets to Paris last night, Indigo would likely open the car door and leap out of the moving vehicle. In the last few weeks, I'd done more impulsive tasks than I ever had. I didn't regret it, though. She said she wanted to travel to Paris, and I wanted to be the one to be with her. Indigo would never have to be alone again.

"So," She cleared her throat, and I kept my eyes on the road. "How did you manage this? I thought we'd be seeing the elephants from a distance."

"I called the zoo last week and asked if they take visitors to see elephants up close, and they said they do. I bought the tickets for it," I replied.

"Last week?" She turned to face me. "You've been planning this for a week?"

I nodded, feeling warmth rush to my face.

"What else are you planning? I feel like I need to prepare myself for your tactics," She teased, and I tensed.

"That's for me to know and for you-"

"To dot, dot, dot," She chuckled, turned away from me and sighed heavily.

⭐︎

"I think I might cry," Indigo walked up in line, our turn drawing near. "I will actually cry. You're kidding."

The smile on my face was permanent at the existence of her excitement. I made her happy, but the elephants in front of us were the tipping point. She had a thing for nature - animals most of all. It had always been like that. I remembered the day we became friends and grinned wider at the memory of her talking to a butterfly.

"Why are you so scared of them?" She'd asked, watching as I dodged the insect as it fluttered by me.

"They look like they'd tickle me," I had replied, disgusted.

"They're just innocent creatures. They won't hurt you," Indigo's laugh flooded my memory. Even with tear stains running down her face, her smile brightened her complexion.

"You were crying. I bet they made you cry, huh?" I'd tried to tease. Maybe a joke would've made her laugh.

It didn't. Her face had fallen as if suddenly remembering the reason behind her tears.

"No. Just stupid people."

"Yeah, I thought so."

She'd raised an eyebrow at me, and I smiled because it appeared as if she might knock me to the ground with a single look.