Chapter 30

Zoey's POV

Jett and I got the most delicious ice cream! I got Honey Graham Cracker and Jett got Salted Caramel Truffle. I can honestly say, mine was so much better than his.

For the first time in a long time, I ate everything. Every last drop had to be consumed minus the small bite I gave to Jett then the one he stole from me while I went pee. I could tell he stole a bite by how my spoon was positioned when I got back.

Growing up in a group home teaches you how to be observant. Kids there can be ruthless; stealing things just because they can.

We decided to head home once the sun started to kiss the ground goodbye and the sky turned a pretty summer orange-ish pink.

Jett and I hold hands the entire way. His hand refused to leave mine as he drove us home.

"They are here!" I say happily noticing Nik's car.

Jett sniffs the air, examining it closely.

"He's not the only one." He sighs.

Well duh, Poppy and Wyatt are there too.

He parks in the garage and pulls my face into his hands, wiping my cheek.

"Nik's parents are here. We have to clean you up real quick, I'm sure they can already smell your scent so this has to be quick." He says as he continues to lick his thumb then press it on my cheek.

His parents. Here? Now?

My stomach curls and my shoulders shrink. I forgot they were even coming. I don't look presentable in the slightest! I have on jean shorts and a plain white T-shirt.

"It's going to be okay, baby. We will be right there with you. We won't leave you alone with them, ever." Jett comforts.

My eyes begin to burn from the lack of blinking. All that is running through my mind is that they are the most powerful, most respected vampires alive!

How could I impress them? How could they like a mere human like me?

"Baby," Jett coos, "they are intimidating, but once they get to know you, they will love you just as much as we do."

I nod, still freaked about this whole situation.

You can do this, Zoey. You can do hard things.

Jett walks in front of me, letting me hide behind him as we walk through the door.

I hold onto the back of Jett's shirt as we enter the living room.

"You brought us a snack, Jett?" A woman's voice echoes through my ears.

Her voice is...powerful.

Peeking around Jett, I'm thrown off guard by her chocolate brown hair, assuming it'd be grey.

"No, she's mine, mother." Nik defends me.

Her hair shifting slightly down tells me that she tilted her head. If I were brave, I'd just introduce myself. But in my head, it's smart to be introduced so I don't say the wrong thing and piss them off.

"As in you've taken a woman?" She chirps.

"I have. Come here, love." Nik says through Jett's body, blocking me from everyone's sight.

I slowly shuffle out from behind Jett and walk on eggshells until I get to Nik and sit on the couch next to him.

"Her name is Zoey." Nik shares.