Chapter 5

The dance was just a few hours away and RJ was at Velma's place

The dance was just a few hours away and RJ was at Velma's place. Velma was one of the only girls that RJ considered as her friend. They didn't necessarily have a lot in common, but she didn't let that get in the way of treating the girl like a friend. Velma lived with her mother in an apartment a few blocks away from RJ and Riff's place, her mother didn't exactly agree with her dating a Jet, but that wasn't going to stop Velma. Velma was pinning RJ's hair into place when Grazie walked in with her dress on a hanger that was covered in plastic so it wouldn't get dirty. She walked through the door of Velma's room and saw RJ sitting in the vanity seat. Both girls settled glares on each other until Velma stood in between them, blocking their sights from each other. Grazie had a scowl on her lips when she looked at Velma.

"What is she doing here?" she asks looking around Velma at RJ.

"I could ask you the same question." RJ pointed out crossing her arms, her glare unwavering. Velma looked between the two and sighed.

"Look you two, I invited you both over so that we could get ready together because you're my friends. You two are going to have to get over it just for tonight." She said, still standing between the two of them. She looked over at RJ with pleading eyes. RJ's glare falters as she looks at Velma. She looks at Grazie again and sighs.

"Fine, I'll be civil for tonight. Only if she is too." She says, pointing to Grazie. Grazie just rolls her eyes and hangs up her dress.

"I'm not the problem, RJ." She drawls out with a smirk on her lips.

"I've never heard anything more far from the truth." RJ says smiling, the smirk dropping from Grazie's lips. She looked like she was going to try to hit RJ, and RJ was ready for it, but she was stopped by Velma.

"Guys, please." She pleaded. "Just for one night." Her gaze drifts from RJ to Grazie and back to RJ. RJ relents and sits back down to fiddle with her hair in the mirror. Grazie rolls her eyes once again and takes her dress out of the plastic to change. Velma smiles at both of them and starts to brush mascara over her lashes, looking in the mirror from behind RJ. They continue to get ready until they're all primped and prepped, ready for the dance. Not too long after they are all ready, they all get their little cardigan sweaters to put over their dresses to protect them from the cold night air. A knock sounds from the door signaling that someone was there, Velma approaches the door and opens it to reveal Mouthpiece, Balkan, and Ice. Mouthpiece grabs Velma by the hand and spins her into a hug.

"You look amazing, Vel." He said with the biggest smile on his face. RJ has never truly seen him smile that wide until now. It made her think about Diesel and how she hoped he would look at her like that. RJ looked at Ice and he smiled at her as she rolled her eyes at the couple, she walked up to him and straightened out his jacket collar.

"Well, don't you look fabulous, good sir." She said in a fake accent and did a little curtsey.

"Why, thank you, madam. And you," he says, mocking her accent, as he takes her hand and turns her, "look as radiant as ever." They both laugh as she holds onto his arm, and they start to descend the stairs to the lobby of Velma's apartment building. They open the doors and start to make their way to the school gym with Balkan, Grazie, Mouthpiece, and Velma behind them. Ice looks at RJ up and down, she notices and quirks an eyebrow.