chapter 20

Omniscient POV

Syere.

Syere baby wake up.

A soft voice calls after her snapping her awake. Her eyes bounce around the room erratically before finally settling on a sleeping Anubis beside her.

Four days had passed since the incident at the Styx leaving him exhausted. Which Syere was aware of and she hoped that he'd soon grow too exhausted of her to try to save her anymore.

But that was a naive dream since Anubis is just as stubborn as her which Syere has yet to realize.

Taking the chance she attempts to slip out of bed but is quickly grabbed by an annoyed Anubis.

"Where are you going?" He questions sharply his eyes remaining closed.

"Bathroom jeez, let go of me." Syere mumbles frustrated at his incessant hovering over her ever since she was cursed by her brother.

His lids flickering briefly as he rolled his eyes. "Drop the attitude. I have to keep tabs on you now more than ever you know that." He reminded sharply.

She simply glares waiting for him to let her go. He sighs letting her go.

"Go on."

Without another word Syere turns entering the bathroom leaving an equally frustrated Anubis on the bed with his thoughts.

Her eyes immediately fell on the large mirror that centered the bathroom, taking in her appearance. Her hair disheveled, eyes tired and extremely rumpled shirt.

Her eyes are torn immediately when a familiar drip rings in her ears just as it did that night a few years ago calling her closer.

Approaching the tub the screw of the tap let's put a squeak as the handle is turned and water quickly rushes out.

Anubis eyes immediately shot open from his place on the bed. "Syere. What are you doing?" He enters the bathroom without so much as a knock too concerned for any formalities.

"Running a bath." She lies.

Syere could see clear in his eyes he was fully aware she was lying to him. However he doesn't comment on it changing the subject.

"If that's the case, then I'll join you." He challenges beginning to strip.

"No." She protested wanting him to leave.

"I'm not leaving." He states sharply turning off the water to the bath. "I either join you or supervise you from—"

"Supervise?" Her face twists into a deep scowl. "Am I child??" She snaps.

"No." He deadpans.

Yet you can't seem to stop yourself from acting like one.

He thought to himself as he kept her fiery gaze. She rolls her eyes in defeat beginning to strip, cursing to herself.

Anubis after fully stripping gets comfortable in the bath waiting patiently for fiancé with a light smile playing on his lips.

Turning his eyes towards a visibly annoyed Syere he outstretches his hand inviting her in. "Aren't you planning to get in?" He smiles hopeful.

She turns her face away from his, weak to the puppy look he'd give her when he wanted to please her. Begrudgingly she stripped from her clothes avoiding his stare jointing the bath.

He immediately pulls her closer into his arms hugging her as opted to stare ahead at nothing whilst saying nothing.

"What are you thinking about?" He mutters placing a soft kiss on the back of her neck.

"Why I'm still breathing air." She responds bluntly.

"Hm think about something else." He suggested firmly.

"Like?" She raised a brow finally looking at him.

"Hm like where we should go for our second date? Maybe or maybe consider thinking about going to visit your parents ag—"

"No." She flattens tensing in his arms.

He paused noticing how tense she got deciding to drop it.
"Then let's focus on where we should go on Saturday hm?"

He places another kiss on her shoulder rubbing her arm trying to get her to relax. "I'll even get you the weed you so desperately been craving."

Syere's face quickly lights up at the mention of weed. "Really?"

"Mhm but," her face falls once again as he continued. "No attempts for a week and I'll get it for you."

"Are you being deadass right now?" She unintentionally snaps at him which makes him nip her shoulder in turn gently warning to watch her tone.

"Is there a problem?"

She straightens up at his light but firm tone remembering what he put her through just five days ago.

"No." She mumbles meekly.

A knock suddenly comes from the door as a guard walks in. Syere smirks noticing it was the guard she assaulted.

The guard briefly glances at Syere but it is immediately warned by Anubis.

"Eyes on me. Or do I need to pluck them out?"

"N-no sir, I'm sorry." The guard nods shakily informing Anubis of the influx of souls that just entered the underworld.

"Your highness. A soul arrived at the gate and they seem to know of her highness..."

Syere raises a brow curiously. "Me?" Fear coils in her stomach worried that it may be her parents.

"We'll be there shortly." Anubis waved dismissing the guard.

Bowing the guard takes his leave with haste.

•••

Anubis arrives at the gate dressed in his royal attire with Syere by his side looking on curiously.

"Why did I not arrive here when I first came?" She looks at Anubis.

"Because you're a special case." He responds calling forth the soul. "Bring them in."

"Because I killed myself or because I am to be your wife?"

"Both...although that's not the entire reason." He mumbles underneath his breath yet she heard him quite clear.

She opens her mouth to ask what he meant by it but a voice interrupts.

"Syere."

She paused recognizing the voice that called out to her. Turning her head her suspicions were right, standing a few feet away Aj grinned back at her.

"Aj..?"

A/N: happy Halloween!! Might update twice so look out for the second chapter