chapter 23

Anubis POV

Entering the room I'm met with Syere staring out the window.

"Where's AJ?" I question taking off my clothes.

"Lydia found him a room to stay in. He's in bed." She mutters.

I hum. "Okay." Approaching her I slowly wrap my around her waist as I laid my chin on her shoulder. "You know I can feel it. Your sadness."

"It's so strong sometimes I can't differentiate whether it's yours or my own. How long do you plan to hold it all in?" I sigh. "I'm here for a reason."

She moves away. "Don't touch me."

My face falls. "Don't do that." I state sternly.

Or you're gonna piss me off.

She eyes me up and down briefly before tilting her head slightly. "Or what? You're gonna get pissed off? I don't care." She responds with a roll of her eyes

"Syere, the whole point of this arrangement is to help you." I snap which in turn makes her snap.

She begins to laugh. "No it's not, I'm only here to be your old wife's replacement and your luck is shit so you're now stuck with a suicidal partner. So don't say the whole point of this is to help me because it's not." She states cutting her eyes at me unimpressed.

"I'm trying to help you heal." I sighed my frustration growing.

She paused briefly. "Heal me? Am I some sort of fucking project to you? Heal? Am I broken Anubis?!" She yells.

"Are you not?" I yell back.

She falls silent looking taken aback.

A flicker of hurt came filled her expression before she masked it with a defiant cold smirk. "Alright, fine. I'm broken so, how exactly are you gonna fix me?" She raises a brow. "Enlighten me."

"I don't know yet." I answer honestly grabbing her face so she doesn't look away from me. "But I won't stop searching for a way."

"I'm determined to love you to the point it swallows you and you're incapable of hating yourself."

She's quiet for a moment, her eyes clouded with a mixture of unspoken emotions — fear, defiance, gratitude? I'm not sure.

They search my own restlessly, desperately trying to believe the words echoed but doubt consumed her.

Her eyes fell to the floor shuddering struggling to hold back her tears. "...I don't think I'll ever stop hating myself and being cursed just makes it so much worse." Her eyes begin to water. "I wanna fix it...I do but...I can't." She answers softly finally being honest for once.

"Shh don't cry." I kiss her tears away reassuring her worries. "That's what I'm here for, we'll figure it out together I promise."

She doesn't respond becoming quiet still sniffling. I wipe her tears with the pad of my thumb before picking her up and carrying us over to the bed.

"Nubis." She whispers as I laid her down.

"Hm?" I hum getting a blanket.

"I want head." She states still sniffing.

She can't be serious.

I couldn't help but chuckle lightly. "Baby you're still crying and that's what you're thinking about?"

"Please?" She pulls me closer as I joined her in bed.

"No, I'm not giving you head right now." I state firmly.