Chapter 21 • Anna

𝕎ℍ𝔼ℕ  𝕊𝔸𝕀𝔻 𝕀 𝕎𝔸ℕ𝕋𝔼𝔻 𝕋𝕆 𝕊ℍ𝕆ℙ, 𝕀 𝔻𝕀𝔻ℕ'𝕋 𝕄𝔼𝔸ℕ 𝕀𝕋 𝕃𝕀𝕂𝔼 𝕋ℍ𝕀𝕊

𝕎ℍ𝔼ℕ 𝕊𝔸𝕀𝔻 𝕀 𝕎𝔸ℕ𝕋𝔼𝔻 𝕋𝕆 𝕊ℍ𝕆ℙ, 𝕀 𝔻𝕀𝔻ℕ'𝕋 𝕄𝔼𝔸ℕ 𝕀𝕋 𝕃𝕀𝕂𝔼 𝕋ℍ𝕀𝕊

"Oh, I'm better than a friend, my dear," Her Highness said. "I'm a saleswoman." Her diamonds sparkled, and her eyes glittered like a snake's—cold and dark. "Don't worry. We'll work our way down to the first floor, eh?"

Valdez nodded eagerly. "Sure, yeah! That sounds okay. Right, Piper?" 

McLean glared at him, but her eyes were not-at-all scary. So, instead, I glared my worst glare at him and Valdez paused. But, the damage was already done and the saleswoman smirked. 

"Of course it's okay." Her Highness put her hands on Valdez's and Jace's shoulders and steered them toward the cosmetics. "Come along, boys."

We didn't have much choice but to follow. If only I could get her highness alone...

"Anne" Emma nudged me and I followed, still figuring out a battle plan.

We walked for a while, the princess talking about her items. I zoned out, not really bothering to listen. Her Highness obviously used her voice as the first attack. I knew this because I too used the same strategy. Distracting your enemies from their goal not only buys you more time but also leads to some major details slipping out by accident. I had first-hand experienced this, back when I was 7, on a quest with Emma. 

"And here," the princess said, interrupting my thoughts, "is the finest assortment of magical mixtures anywhere."

The counter was crammed with bubbling beakers and smoking vials on tripods. Lining the display shelves were crystal flasks—some shaped like swans or honey bear dispensers. The liquids inside were every color, from glowing white to polka-dotted. And the smells—ugh! Some were pleasant, like fresh-baked cookies or roses, but they were mixed with the scents of burning tires, skunk spray, and gym lockers.

The princess pointed to a blood-red vial—a simple test tube with a cork stopper. "This one will heal any disease."

"Even cancer?" Valdez asked. "Leprosy? Hangnails?"

"Any disease, sweet boy. And this vial"—she pointed to a swan-shaped container with blue liquid inside—"will kill you very painfully." Oh, I need that one so that I can chug it down Her Highness's throat. 

"Awesome," Jace said. His voice sounded dazed and sleepy. What a bolt-head. 

"Jason," McLean said. "We've got a job to do. Remember?" She tried to put power into her words, to snap him out of his trance with charmspeak, but her voice sounded shaky. I could understand, the princess was giving me bad vibes.