Chapter 12: The First Step

Traviz exchanged no words with Nate and much less with Aaron, who sometimes looked at him as if he were some dirt on his shoe. The stereo was off for weeks. The Crib was silent. Weirdly silent. Traviz was acting in a quiet protest. Their rude and harsh words had made a great mark inside him, and he just wanted to throw it back by being the best motherfucker dancer. He thought about announcing it, but that was a little scary. Not that it was a plan, no. He hated plans. But for the first time, he had a strong motivation, something standing in front of him that he wanted to touch and feel. He just needed to go and get it. Make everyone see that he got something, that he deserved to be in that place.

After a lot of struggle, stomachaches, sweats, bad dreams, some hidden cryings, baths without shampoos, cold beans, and no b-soda, Traviz took the courage and called Nate, who was dressing up to go out. It was Saturday midnight.

"Nate."

"Hm." Nate was buttoning his fresh new shirt, looking at the mirror.

"Y-you guys are going to Levion, right?" Traviz rubbed the back of his neck.

"Yes. Why are you asking, thought you knew that."

"I wanna go, too."

"Haha. That ain't no kid's party. Not a chance."

"But... That's where you dance, right? Like, every Saturday."

"Aaand?"

"I wanna see you guys dance 'cause I think it's cool and I wanna do that too." Traviz blurted the words like a cannon, emotion thrilling through his body, as well as embarrassment because damn, he felt so ridiculous saying such things. And Nate, instead of cooperating, smirked. He paused the buttoning.

"Am I going crazy? Boy, say that again."

"Jeez..."

"I'm all ears."

"I wanna dance."

"You wanna dance?"

"Yes."

"Really?"

"Yeees! Uurgh..." Traviz rubbed his face, stressed, regret taking over him. "Ah, never mind."

"Hold up, boy. Get back here." Nate pulled Traviz by his neck. He looked at him right in the eye. "Since when, little sucker?"

"Since Levion."

"I see." Nate's expression couldn't be read. Traviz had no idea if he was about to laugh at his face or start shouting. "What do I get in exchange?"

"What do you mean?"

"What do I get in return?"

Great.

"Hm... Some money. I can rob my dad."

"Ah, that's not my style."

"Money to buy shampoos..."

"Shut up, kid."

"I'll stop complaining about your stupid awful beans."

"Don't be surreal."

"Okay, I'll never turn on the stereo. Ever again."

"I said, don't be surreal!"

"I'll get you another trophy."

Nate stopped frozen, the bonnet in midair. Then, he burst out laughing.

"Another trophy... I don't think you know what surreal means... I guess you're staying home, Mini-Tiger. We have no deal."

"I mean it. I'm getting the trophy. The Nationals." Traviz's voice was a little higher than he'd planned to. As if he had planned anything. Much less that kind of deal.