Chapter 37: This Is What You Call An Open Heart

(Owen)

Peace was restored but not inside Owen's mind. Or heart. Or whatever thing that was attached to himself. It was ridiculous. He had almost confessed himself, under the threat of tears, in front of his dear prince, but it couldn't be helped. Traviz was a bona fide dummy. It was so tragically comic that Owen found himself laughing in the bathroom. But things would change.

Now that the truth was finally confirmed, that no matter what he did there would be no clear and bright solution - Owen feared that even if he attempted saying in clear words his true feelings the stupid would not get the message; he'd say something adorably cute, bromance vibe, and that's it - things dropped from the struggling to the boring. Which was good. And boring.

After the most unexciting experience Owen had ever had, Traviz simply became a dull and stupid boy in front of his eyes. All the cuteness, the charm, the sex appeal, the everything, turned into a box called 'reserved to daydreams'. Living next to Traviz was not exciting anymore. It was just material for his dreams. He'd lie down and live the real love he wanted so badly, the one he deserved. And naturally, Traviz didn't notice his momma's change of preference.

I'm not falling for this anymore. I don't feel anything. You're just a dumb nice friend.

--

"Come with meeee..."

"No, thanks. You go."

The entire house smelled like ash. Owen wouldn't drop the cigarette. Whenever he felt as if his lungs were dying from so much steam, Traviz would go outside...

But Owen wouldn't go outside with him.

"You look like a grandpa, Phants. Freal. C'mon. Turn up!"

Owen sighed, blowing a grey cloud, without meeting eyes. "I said I'm not going."

"But dude, someone's gotta give me a ride, 'cause Imma booze all night with the-"

"You don't even drink, Troy."

"Well, I am, today. Fo sure. Like, goodbye, b-soda. C'mon, Phants, be my driv-"

"Leave me alone."

"Argh..."

Traviz rubbed his face on his friend's shoulder, trying to make him change his stupid mind. But nothing.

"Jeez." Traviz stepped back, feeling the weight of Owen's despise. "Fine. So that's a no."

"Exactly. You're smart, sometimes."

"Argh..."

I mean, seriously... The hell is wrong with this dude...

Go figure. Imma go myself.

Well, shit. He lost his way several times. He thought about turning back and dropping the lonely stupid hang out, but he had no idea how to get back. Wow, great, now he was lost in the middle of St.Vicent.

He parked, pissed off.

Now, what?

He turned on the radio. Same boring shit. The same songs. The same shit. The same shit...

Oh.

There was a gas station some meters ahead. Traviz drew a smirk on his face, grabbed the fake ID, and got back with a collection of beers and vodkas and whiskeys.

Crazy.

Traviz stared at the plastic sack.

Wow, so fun... Ugh. Now, what do I do?