Chapter 10

Throughout the night, Winter had woken up a few times from nightmares of the crash. They would switch between the crash of her team and what she and Xavier went through the other day. She would wake up in a panic, waking Bradley every time, but he didn't mind. He did his best to comfort her even though Lani had told him to go home every time she woke up, she felt bad for constantly waking him up, but she also didn't want him to see her like this. Eventually, Lani talked him into sharing the little hospital bed in hopes he could get some sleep. She knew he had training the next day, and he wouldn't be able to fly half-asleep.

The next morning both Winter and Rooster were awoken by someone clearing their throat. When they both opened their eyes to see who it was, Rooster shot out of the hospital bed. "Dad!" Lani said as she sat up. Tom was leaning against the doorframe, arms crossed, and eyebrows raised, "well, good morning to you both..." Rooster looked between the two Kazansky's before deciding he should go get some breakfast, "I'm uh... going to head downstairs," he said as he walked towards the door. He gave Iceman a nervous nod, "Admiral..." Tom pushed himself off the doorframe with a sigh, "Bradley... trust you slept well." Rooster almost choked on air before quickly pacing out the door with a quiet "sir." Lani facepalmed as Tom chuckled, watching Bradley practically run out the door with his tail between his legs.

"Well, I was not expecting to see my Jellybean cuddled up with her former best friend, who now seems to be her best friend again, this early in the morning," Tom said with an amused smirk. Lani groaned, "dad, it wasn't like that, and you literally scared him off." Iceman made his way toward his daughter, taking a seat next to her, "no, I think I made him shit himself, Jellybean." They both laughed and Lani shook her head. "Where is mom?" She asked. "Oh, you know her, bossing around the doctors," Tom replied. Lani nodded with a small laugh, "as expected."

"I hope you were able to get some rest, even with shit pants next to you," Tom added. "Dad!" Winter scolded. Tom only shrugged, "just saying. But how are you feeling?" Lani sighed, "got those damned nightmares again. This time it switched between the old and new accident." Tom gently held her hand, "I was hoping that wasn't going to happen."

"Maybe that's just how things will be, dad. Maybe, I'm cursed," Lani said softly. Tom shook his head, "you're not cursed, Jellybean." Winter looked down into her lap, "then why am I the only one that comes out alive, or untouched?" He squeezed her hand gently, "the worst happens to the best of us. But we are alive because it isn't our time yet, there are still things for us to accomplish. What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger." Lani looked at her dad with tears in her eyes, a small smile appeared on her lips, "are you quoting song lyrics now?" She joked with a sniffle. Tom let out a small laugh and shook his head, "the point is, you are strong. You are brave. You got through this before, and I know you can do it again. Healing doesn't happen overnight, but I have watched you rise to the top since you were little."

"I don't know if I can go on this mission. I don't know if I can move on. What if I make another mistake?" She croaked as a tear ran down her cheek. Tom gently wiped the tear away with his thumb, "you never made a mistake. You did everything right, both times, the ambush was not your fault, and the bird strike was not your fault. You can't control other people's fate. You did everything right; you did everything you could both times. I'm so proud of you, Jellybean."

"How will I know if I can go back out there again?" She asked softly. "You will know when you're ready. But take your time, if you don't feel ready, then don't push yourself. Either way, your mother and I will be right here, supporting whatever choice you make; no matter what anyone tells you. It's your choice," Iceman said as he gently pulled her into a hug. "I love you, dad." Tom held her tighter, "I love you too, Jellybean."

Kaia had come into the room for a bit before Bradley returned with some food and coffee. Iceman and Wipeout had left not long after, wanting their daughter to get some rest, but also having some business to take care of.