Chapter 14

Early the next morning, everyone was packed and ready to fly to the carrier. They all met up for a quick debriefing before they were flown out. Barely anyone spoke to each other, not only was everyone on edge about the mission, but they were all tired, so mostly everyone slept on the way over for some extra sleep.

It was still pretty early when they all landed on the carrier. They had a schedule to follow once they arrived that consisted of, eating, getting ready, multiple meetings, and checking their aircraft. So far the whole morning consisted of Rooster and Winter glancing at each other, but neither of them had the balls to speak first. While Hangman was waiting for the right moment to once again apologize to his friend.

Lani was staring at a board that held their flight pattern. Maverick walked up beside her, "hey, kid." She looked at him and smiled, "hey, fossil."

"Oh, she's got jokes?" Maverick said with a small laugh. Lani chuckled, "sorry, just trying to keep the nerves away." Pete nodded, "I get it. So, have you made your choice?" Lani took a deep breath, "I have. He doesn't know yet though."

"That might be best at the moment. Have you guys talked things over at all?" She just shook her head and looked down at the floor. "It's alright. You two will figure it out. You guys always have and always will."

"I'm not sure about the always will part there, Mav."

"Are you kidding me? I see the way you two look at each other. It's the exact same way your parents look at each other, and the same way Goose and Carol look at each other."

"And the same way you and Penny look at each other" Lani said with a smile as she wiggled her eyebrows. "Okay, this isn't about me-" Mav started but his niece quickly cut him off, "oh, come on Mav! I see the way you two look at each other," she repeated what he said. "Alright, I'm going to go find someone else to talk to," Maverick said. "Try talking to that nephew of yours... you know the one with like one brain cell, the size of a pea?" She replied as he shook his head with a smile and walked away.

She went back to staring at the board, just as she heard a familiar voice from behind her, "stare at it any longer you might hurt yourself." She turned around to see Hangman standing there with an unsure smile. Lani returned the smile, "hey stranger." His smile grew bigger, "so, you're not mad at me?" She shook her head, "not anymore." Jake had a snarky grin, "this is the part where you say I'm too cute to stay mad at." Lani crossed her arms as she looked up at him, "you're right Jake, you are too cute to stay mad at, so here let me punch you in the face to make you less cute." Hangman backed away and lifted his arm mid-air, in surrender, "you win shorty." Lani nodded, "good- wait did you just call me shorty?"

"Oh, shit," Hangman mumbled before taking off as fast as his legs could carry him. "Oh, no you don't peanut brain! Get back here!" Lani yelled as she chased after him.

_______________________

"It has been an honor flying with you. Each one of you represents the best of the best. This is a very specific mission. My choice is a reflection of that and nothing more. Lieutenant Kazansky will be your mission leader and we have both worked together to create this team. Lieutenant Kazansky if you will," Maverick said as he stepped aside, letting Lani take the podium beside him. "Lieutenant, choose your two Foxtrot teams," Cyclone said. Lani nodded as she looked at her peers, "Payback and Fanboy. Phoenix and Bob."

"And your wingman," Cyclone added. Lani paused and looked toward Rooster and Hangman, she already made up her mind, but she couldn't help but wonder if she was making the right choice. Rooster was looking toward the floor, apparently, it was more interesting. While Hangman was holding back his signature grin. After a few seconds of silence, Lani spoke up, "Rooster." It wasn't until his name was called that Bradley looked up from the floor, toward Lani with an unreadable look. "The rest of you will stand by on the carrier for any reserve role that's required. Dismissed," Warlock announced before everyone was congratulating those selected to go on the mission.