Chapter 9: About Time

Earth, Nov. 14th 2016 @8:12 PM. White Rock Shore, a popular beach since it's the closest to Times Square. Thousands of people flock to it daily during the summer to bathe in the golden sun, drift along the vast, sparkling sea, or throw parties.

This time was different, however. There were only a handful of people on the beach watching the stars, but they all retreated at the sight of massive piles of sand rising and falling periodically.

Staining the golden, loose sand was a viscous red substance. All coming from Genji. Ever since landing on the beach, he hasn't been able to land a single good hit on Alyssa. Factors like height, speed, and their training all played a role. It was obvious Alyssa has spent more time in close combat than increasing her power.

In his eyes, she was a blur of animosity, and her punches backed it up. All he could do was block her crushing blows.

Alyssa sent two more jabs at him before sweeping her legs at his feet. He fell, but was struck in his abdomen by her palm, sending him skidding through the sand. 

Genji twisted his body around to stand upright and slow down, eventually coming to a halt. He didn't have much time to think about a plan since Alyssa was already approaching.

"Steel yourself, come on! What kind of Ōkami loses their first real life-or-death battle?!"

He readied himself, inhaling deeply.

Alyssa's approach wasn't sporadic, she had an idea. She extended her arm to her side. There, the palm of her hand exhaled a dark purple mist that slowly took shape. It compacted together and solidified, creating Alyssa's signature weapon. The Scythe.

"What the...Oh crap!"

Alyssa dug the blade into the slide and slid it up towards the sky. A wave of grain rose up to touch the sky, and Genji had no choice but to jump to avoid being buried.

He fell victim to Alyssa's planning, as she was already in the air waiting for him. She dug her fist into his ribcage, finding satisfaction in feeling them snap like twigs under a hiker's boot.

As soon as he was in the sky, he was sent plummeting down to sink within the sand. As much as he wanted to bounce back up, the sand continued to eat away at him.

In addition to the sand, Alyssa continued to pummel Genji's chest, each punch driving them deeper below the ground. At some point, Alyssa felt something pop from her hit.

"One heart down, huh? Five more to go!!"

Her strikes ramped up in speed, and at this rate they would end up on the other side of the world. Rather than that, they were met with something different.

They found themselves in Earth's core.

The heat reminded them a bit of home, but even they knew being in contact with the core for too long would be dangerous. Genji laid on the liquid, molten surface with Alyssa standing on top of him.

"Make yourself comfortable, because this place will be your grave."

With nothing else to say, and not bothering to listen to him, Alyssa built up power in her legs and rocketed up through the hole. After a few moments, she reemerged on the surface. Once she landed, she kicked heaps of sand down the gap in hopes of blocking it up.

Along with that, Zoey had finally caught up.

"Did you do it?"

"Mhm, no way in hell he's getting out of this one."

"I understand. Mission accomplished then."

"All those suffering years we spent training together for this easy win. But why did you come? I figured you would stay behind."