Chapter 7

Leigh-Anne couldn't hear the arguing with her headphones on and her show running but she knew it was happening.

Sairah groaned in the kitchen. "But you could have given a week's notice or something. You're just gonna pick up and leave tomorrow?"

"Yes. I am." Deidri did not understand this bold response. Her other daughter sat at the table to watch them in silence. "Why are you so angered when you have a job and loads of money in your bank account because of me?"

Sairah had only shown slight discontent with what her mom said. The woman had noticed right away and asked if there was a problem so Sairah had said that she wished she had told her sooner but that just started a long aggravated rant from their mom. I should have kept my mouth shut. She leaned against the counter with arms folded. "Sorry Mum. I just . . ." She took a deep breath. "It's really okay. Thank you for all that you've done."

"That's what I thought." She started walking out of the kitchen towards the door. "I have a meeting right now but make sure that Leigh-Anne goes to bed at ten and gets cleaned before bed. You know what to do." She left promptly, her heels clicking on her way out.

Sairah groaned once the door was shut. "Why does she always put this on me?" She whined.

She sat in front of her sister. "Do you do that much more work than I do, why it doesn't fall on you? I don't want to have to leave to go check on her on set. That sounds . . . I barely have time for myself. Why am I raising a child at twenty-two?"

Sian laughed briefly. "It's not that bad. Leigh-Anne doesn't even cause any trouble. She's well-behaved because Mum trained her to be. I literally have no idea why you're complaining."

"Because it just sigh it feels like too much responsibility." Sairah massaged the side of her head.

Sian shook her head. "Mum will only be gone a week."

"I know but most of the time I have to look after Leigh anyway so it's just part of my job now." Sairah complained.

Sian smiled. "But she's cute."

"Yeah she is but she's also . . . a weird kid."

"She doesn't bother anyone." Sian really didn't understand her anger.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah." Sairah looked at her nails.

Sian twisted her mouth. "Wanna take turns watching her?"

Sairah's interest was piqued.

"I could check on her one day and you'll check the next. Mum doesn't even check up that much but we should make an effort to see her. We all know that it can be dangerous when she's there without guardians. People try to take advantage." Sian said.

Sairah hummed. "Eh. You got stuff to do. I'll just be her mum for the week."

Sian smiled. "Be a better mum than ours is."

"Yeah." Sairah got up and stretched. "She's got to hop in the bath about now so I'll just help her with that."

"Don't forget to ask her if she's cleaned those spots. She sometimes forgets her ears and her belly-button." Sian pointed to indicate where she meant.

"I know." Sairah dragged herself to the room.

She knocked on the door but realized that Leigh-Anne was probably caught up watching her show. She just opened it instead. "Hey."

Leigh-Anne lowered the covering for her ears and paused the episode on her screen. "Hi Sairah."

"It's eight o' clock. Bath time." Sairah came to sit at the edge of her bed.