Chapter 27

"That's real adorable but at your age, there isn't really much difference between having a girlfriend and a best friend is there?" Naomi sat at the edge of Jade's bed that night before bedtime.

Jade had broken the news to her mom on their way home. The woman had shared her excitement and expressed her amusement at the idea. "I guess you're right but we can kiss. And I guess I'd let Leigh-Anne sit in my lap." The thought of that reddened her cheeks. She was all tucked in but having a talk with her mom before going to sleep.

Naomi had a laugh. "You? You're so tiny Jade. I don't even think someone as small as Leigh-Anne can fit there." She poked the girl's forehead.

Jade only rolled her eyes.

Naomi moved some of Jade's hair from the girl's face. "And you want her meeting Dad next week? Wonder how that old lug will react. He's not that into pop culture but he did like Dead Man's Paradise."

"It's a critically acclaimed film." Jade felt prideful. "I'm sure he's gonna love Leigh-Anne. She's . . ." She giggled. "Sweet."

"She's very polite. A bit stiff but I think that without her abuser around that she'll find herself." Naomi patted her lap. "Your agent says you should do auditions while we're out in Los Angeles. She's found out about a few happening around the same time as the final shooting days for Fearsome Four. I think you'll have a good shot at getting those roles since people know you're in this series."

"The anticipation for this one is so high. I really hope we please the fans." Jade became nervous whenever thinking of the show's release.

"I'm sure you will. The scenes are shot at random but with the way you kids are acting your hearts out I can tell it will be a good one. The script is incredible as well." Naomi stood up. "But anyway, I don't want to steal more of your bedtime. I'll tell you when I get the script for your audition so we can start practice alright?"

"Okay." Jade received a kiss on her forehead before her mom went to her door.

The woman was about to leave when Jade called to her. "Yes pet?"

Jade tapped her thumbs under her sheet. "Leigh-Anne told me something interesting about her mam today."

Naomi's brows crinkled as she leaned against the door frame. "And what's that?" The last she heard regarding the Pinnocks was that the public now knew of the talks of divorce between them. Someone must have squealed.

"That her mam's dad nearly killed her and was abusive." Jade was unsure of why she was sharing this. Just feels like something mam should know. "We both agreed that that's why her mam is so mean." She averted her eyes. "She's absolutely horrible but I guess that somewhere in me I feel a little sorry."

Naomi remembered her conversation with Leigh-Anne's father on the phone. He had mentioned that his wife's dad was not the best but what Jade was saying provided more details. "I see . . ."

Jade could tell her mom was thinking. "But there's no excuse for abusing people right?"

Naomi sighed. "No. But if it's all a person knows . . ." That woman must have had an awful childhood. Wonder why he tried to kill her. "Maybe one day she can get some help."

Jade looked to the ceiling. "Yeah . . . maybe."

"But don't think about that pet. Just focus on following your dreams and being a super star." She winked.

Jade got bashful whenever her mom referred to her as such. "Okay." She covered her face.

Naomi giggled before leaving.

__________________________

Leigh-Anne had finished her virtual appointment with Dr. Evans twenty minutes ago. Her father was in the kitchen speaking with the professional while she sat in her room, researching how to be a good girlfriend.