Chapter 9

Jade had watched a video on how to pack for sleepovers in preparation for this.

"Pyjamas, extra pyjamas, underwear, clothes for the next day, extra clothes in case something happens, sleeping bag- even though the bed's big enough for all of ya, Aladdin CD . . ." Her mother was going through what they had packed on the bed.

Jade was both nervous and excited. Nervous because she was doing this for the first time and excited because she was doing this for the first time! There's also the nerves that comes with going to a movie star's house. And there was the fact that Leigh's house was also an abusive house so . . . oh boy. This was a lot.

"I think you're all set pet." Her mom zipped the purple suitcase closed and pulled it off the bed. It was decorated with white hearts.

Jade followed her mother out of her room as the woman rolled her bag behind her. "I hope I'm not forgetting something. You said me game was in there too?"

"Yes. I doubt you've underpacked. It kind of looks like you overdid it if you ask me." Naomi had tried to get Leigh-Anne to open up more about what she had said today and yesterday but Leigh-Anne had not wanted to. I'll give her time. It had just been bothering her so much. She would wake up and think about it. She and Jade are around the same age. She looked down at her daughter.

Jade stopped at the door when her mom did. "Everything okay?"

Naomi nodded. "Now I'm going to try to talk to her sister's again and look around when we get there but although I want you to have fun, I also want you to keep alert okay? If the adults are being mean or things seem off, you can call me. I and the other mams will be calling in every hour but there's no limit to the amount of calls we can exchange tonight. Most of the time, when children feel unsafe, they have every right to be. You get that unsafe feeling? Call. If you witness something that's intense and seems cruel, you're allowed to call the police."

Jade's eyes widened. "The police?" Did her mother think it would come to that?

Oh boy. I've scared her. "That's in a worst case scenario." She laughed to try to lighten the mood. "Don't worry Jade. Things will be fine. I'm sure you'll all have a great time." She kissed Jade's forehead.

"O-okay." Jade really wanted to. "I hope Leigh enjoys herself. She's seemed a lot more upbeat of late so hopefully that carries into the night."

"Let's hope so." Naomi opened the door then held Jade's hand on their way out.

They got to Leigh-Anne's apartment at six and went up in the fancy elevator by six o' five.

The mother and daughter had taken time to admire the decor of the upscale apartment building. Just walking the halls kept their mouths open.

Naomi tried to keep herself together as she knocked on the door. They had gotten the address from Sairah the day after their chat.

Jade tried to imagine who else lived here. Maybe other movie stars who are shooting their own shows and series. This place was insane. There were so many doors lining the hall.

Someone opened the door after ten seconds.

"Hi. So sorry for the wait." A girl who resembled Sairah and Leigh-Anne was the one who opened. She seemed pleasant. "I was a bit caught up but I was able to come just in time." She smiled down at Jade. "Hello."

Jade waved at her though she felt shy.

I'm assuming this is the other sister. Naomi was pretty surprised by her attitude. She was a lot different than the first one. "No it's okay. We didn't have to wait long."