Chapter 9 - Selection Process

hello! please make me aware of any mistakes as this is not edited properly

hello! please make me aware of any mistakes as this is not edited properly. okay, thanks enjoy!

"Sir, these are the cards for the press conference," Francis informed rushedly, handing me a hefty stack of written record cards.

I was disturbed.

Disturbed by the commotion in my office, disturbed by my inferiors stressing around me and disturbed by the man who was touching up my face with a brush and the woman picking on my hair with a comb.

"Off," I scowled, my eyes glaring at the pair who instantly vanished from me. Much better.

"Alex," George sighed raggedly, standing beside me, "You can't scare the people who are helping you away,"

"I can if they're invading my personal space," I straightened my back and combed my hair the way I usually did it, to the side and gelled back professionally, embodying the nineteen-forties male's haircut. Not like the middle part, the makeup artists were giving me. How dare they. I also wiped off any product on my face. Disgusting.

"That goes for all of you," I said, catching the room's attention. My employees dropped everything and met my darkened gaze, instantly regretting it as they dropped their eyes back onto the ground.

"I want everyone out of my office. This issue is meaningless despite some people saying so," I narrowed my eyes at George who rolled his lips in. I could tell he was holding back bitter words.

In the next second, my employees scampered out my door as if their life depended on it. Maybe it did.

As the last employee was about to leave, I stopped her.

"Not you, Francis."

She immediately stopped in her tracks, spun around and clasped her hands in front of her. Francis didn't miss the flirty smirk George sent her, causing her to blush and drop her gaze to her heels. I hope I didn't have to remind them that this was a workplace.

I shook my head disapprovingly at the state of my office, "Look at this place," I scoffed, rounding my desk and grimacing at the mess. "They've ruined my measurements," I tutted and fixed the exact measurements of every object on my desk, most, if not all of them, being photos of my little girl.

"Francis get me a ruler," I said. I needed another ruler to measure my other rulers.

My assistant was quick in her steps until George planted his hand on her shoulder gently. He charmingly smiled at her before shaking his head at me.

"Alex, stop being a psychopath and face the facts. In ten minutes you're going to have a press conference about a one hundred million pound lawsuit against you."

"It's bullshit." I deadpanned.

George folded his arms across his chest, "Of course, it's bullshit. But the evidence is pretty stacked against you and public opinion is favouring Reid right now. You know why? Because he smiles. So let's see it. Let's see that shiny grin, big boy." He teased.