Chapter 11 - First Days

hello!

hello!

"Daddy, you have to let me go now!" Maxine whined, eager to skip into her new, artsy classroom.

She clutched onto the straps of her backpack, swinging on her feet as she peered into the classroom. I knew she wanted to go in and join in the fun with the other kids. But I wasn't ready.

"Never." I hugged her, burying my
nose into her curls.

"But...but you said school was fun and that was I going to enjoy it!" She reasoned.

"I know, I know," I muttered, inhaling the vanilla scent from her hair, "I'm not ready yet, just a few more seconds." I hugged her tighter.

I knew that she had to go to school, be independent from me and learn new things. But it was just so hard. I wanted to keep her as close to me as possible. She was growing up way too fast.

A fairly young woman, who wore a long floral dress, left the classroom and looked down at us. "Mr Stone?"

Maxine and I snapped our heads to her. I stood up, one hand holding my little girl and the other to greet the teacher.

"I'm Mrs Kumar," She greeted and I nodded, letting go of her hand.

She put her hands on her knees and crouched a little. "And you must be Maxine! I'm going to be your new teacher," Mrs Kumar grinned at my little girl.

Maxine stepped back and buried her face in my suit trousers shyly.

"Honey, what's wrong?" I said softly, bending down to her level.

"You can take me home now, Daddy. I'm not ready either," She whispered in the smallest of voices.

My eyes softened and a sad smile curled on my lips, "Oh, baby," I held her face, caressing her cheek, "No you were right, you have to go to school and you're going to be just fine. Do you know why?"

She shook her head, her pigtails hitting her face.

"Because you're my brave girl, the bravest girl in the world, braver than all the monsters,"

She sniffed, "And the spiders?"

"Yes," I chuckled, "Braver than all the spiders too."

"You going to be okay?" I kissed the back of her hand.

"Yes," She bopped her head once, a confident grin spreading across her face.