Chapter 24 - Double Justice

Sorry for the late update! April-May is the worst time to be a student

Alexander Stone.

I was up early this morning. I didn't have to go to work today, I didn't have to attend a meeting or an event. Instead, I had problems to solve, and justices to serve.

As I began styling my tie in front of my mirror, I stopped as the most sweet and comforting aroma filled my nose. Blindly, and with a large smile on my face, I floated towards the inviting smell.

As I walked out of my room, the smallest of humans bumped into my legs. I smiled down at my girl and her bed-ridden hair, rolled-up nighties and the way Cookie was clutched in her hands.

"You smell that too huh, princess?" I bent to my knees and lifted her against my hip.

She wrapped her little arms around my neck as we travelled downstairs and into the kitchen where our long breakfast table was filled with fresh, buttery pancakes, croissants, waffles, scrambled eggs and the list goes on. My mouth watered at the sight and Maxine's little belly rumbled.

A melodic humming tune was sung and we walked further into the kitchen to see Liz flipping more pancakes by the stove.

"Liz," I called for her, disappointed. She should be in bed, resting.

She turned her head, her medium-length hair hitting her face which remained scarred and bruised. A light smile graced her face, "Oh, hey guys, I thought I'd make breakfast this morning," She said ever so casually.

"Breakfast? Liz, this is a buffet," I laughed out of shock. I then covered Maxine's ears so she wouldn't hear this next bit, "What are you doing? You should be in bed resting. You've not healed yet and I would have had breakfast sent up to you," I hissed.

She forced a tight lip smile, "I'm fine." Her eyes drifted to Maxine who blinked at the two of us cluelessly. I let go of her ears.

"Morning, sweet girl." Liz tickled her chin and she giggled shyly, "I made your favourite, eggs and bacon with a smile,"

Maxine gasped excitedly, "Yay! Yay! Yay!" She sprung herself into Liz's arms who winced before carrying her to her seat.

I followed Liz with every step she took. I didn't want her to hurt herself.

She started shuffling plates around and glanced at me, "Alex. Sit down. I'll fix you a plate."

"No," I said but it was too late. Before me was a plate of pancakes drizzled with syrup, scrambled eggs, bacon and sausages.

I looked up at Liz who stood before me with a giant grin. I sighed softly, "Thank you."

I glanced at Maxine who stuffed her face in her egg yolks, "What do you say, baby girl?"

She picked up her head from her plate, her face adorably messy and she shone the toothiest grin at Liz, "Thank you, Lizzy!"