Chapter 10 - Chocolate Chip Mayhem

Hello! Please make me aware of any mistakes <33!

"Just a little bit of sugar, sweetheart," I glanced over my shoulder, watching Maxine sprinkle too much sugar over the pancakes we made.

"Okay," She slowed down her sprinkling and frowned as she flipped over the pancake on her plate, "This one's burnt, Daddy," She pouted at me.

I looked over at the burnt pancake and then my baby girl's doe, disappointed eyes.

I sighed. I was horrible at this cooking thing. "Aww, I'm sorry, honey. Here, take mine." I swapped our plates. I'd rather eat a thousand burnt pancakes than watch her sad again.

After topping the pancakes with berries and maple syrup, I took the plates and Maxine who hung around my neck, to the breakfast table.

She sat on my lap as I changed from feeding her to myself, making sure she got enough fruits in her as possible. I may or may not have spoiled her with too many sweet treats.

"Daddy?" Maxine asked curiously. Internally, I sighed. This felt like one of those questions I couldn't handle.

"Yeah, baby?" I gave her the go-ahead nonetheless. Who could deny that adorable face?

"Where do babies come from?"

I choked on a bite. Oh, lord. Of all the questions...

I ran a hand through my hair, puzzled on how to answer this, all while she looked up at me with those innocent doe eyes. Fuck. And that innocent voice she used. How could I explain this to my little angel?

I coughed, "Why...why are you asking, sweetheart?" Maybe I can get out of this.

"Well...well..." Whenever she started a story like that, I knew it was going to be a long one and I couldn't wait to hear it all. "On Sunday, after I brushed my teeth," She flashed me her pearly whites, "Mary said we can watch a movie! And I said Hotel Trans-transylvania and she said yes! And then there was a mummy wolf and her tummy was sooooooo big and I aksed why! And Mary said 'cause there's a baby in there and then I aksed how? And then she said to ask Daddy and so now I'm aksing you," She rambled in one breath.

I blinked, taking in everything she said. Damn, Rosemary. Damn her.

"Well uh..." I clasped my hands together. How do I go about this one? Think Alex, think. "Where do you think babies come from?" I asked, turning the tables on her. Classic business move.

This should be amusing.

"Hmmm," She twisted her lips and crossed her eyebrows adorably as she thought. "When it gets really really cold outside, y'know, when the winds go wooooshhhhh," She shook her hands, imitating the blowing trees, "and the sky goes BOOM!" She shouted and clapped, making me jump a little, "a little teeny weeny baby flies in the air," she flaps her hands like a bird, "and into a mummy's mouth and then she eats the little baby and then she gets soooooo fat! Every time she walks she stomps like an elipant!" She giggled and I shared her laugh. Adorable. "And then two days later the mummy farts out the baby and so that's how babies are made." She looked up at me with a straight face.