Chapter 15 - Cookie

"Maxineee," I sang softly against my daughter's ears, shaking her shoulder as she was sound asleep, wrapped in her heavy blanket

"Wake up, baby girl. It's time for school."

She stirred and scrunched her nose, her eyes still shut. "Nuh-uh," She tiredly muttered, shaking me off and burying her nose into Cookie who was strapped against her stomach.

I laughed. Adorable.

"Don't you want to go to school? You have your show and tell today!" I exclaimed. She had been raving about this day for weeks.

As soon as she heard me say that, her eyes flew open and she tore the blanket from her body, jumping out of bed.

"We have to get ready, Daddy! It's my show and tell!" She shouted excitedly and waddled into her bathroom.

I snorted. Silly girl.

I followed her into her all-pink bathroom that matched her all-pink bedroom. It was quite refreshing to have a colour but black, white, grey and brown in the house.

I helped her clean up after she peed and settled on her stool in front of her mirror.

As she brushed her teeth, I started combing her bedridden hair.

"I can't wait to show Cookie to my whole class!" She exclaimed and brushed the back row of her teeth.

"They're going to love Cookie, honey," I said and parted her hair through the middle, deciding on doing two French braids.

It was funny. If you asked me six months ago what the hell a French braid was I would've given you the most confused look. But now, I mastered every braid, every bun and collected all the pins and ties for my little girl.

"Cookie's got a little stage fright. I think he's nervous to say hi to my class and friends."

"Well, you gotta let him know that there's nothing to be nervous about–Spit." I instructed halfway through my speech, and Maxine did so. "And that he should be every bit as confident as you. Now show me those teeth."

Through the mirror, she grinned widely, her full set of teeth on display as she ran her tongue across them.

"Adorable." I kissed her forehead noisily.

I then messed around with some of the hair clips in her bathroom vanity, "Unicorns or butterflies, today?"

"Hmmmmm," She tapped her bottom lip with her little finger, "Butterflies for the clippies and unicorn for the hair ties, please!"

"Good choice, sweetheart," I tied the ends of her braids with hair ties that had a unicorn bobble on them and clipped her braids with pastel-coloured butterflies.