Prologue

Alexander Stone

Alexander Stone.

Looking back, it must have been true love.

I felt it. So deep in my heart, and it reflected through my dark brown eyes and into the most beautiful, light eyes I'd ever seen.

My Anna.

She was everything to me, and she was beautiful in every way.

The way her gorgeous curly hair bounced when she ran to hug me after each class, the way her cute dimples would rise every time I made her laugh and the scarlet that spoiled her cheeks every time she'd blush after I whispered in her ear.

Anna's beauty was ingrained in my mind, but her inner beauty healed me.

She'd comfort me every time I argued with my parents, make me laugh with her craziness, make my heart warm at her small gestures and make me appreciate the little things in life.

I'm not the same man I am as I was with Anna. The day she left, I was wrecked and alone. The person who healed my despair was gone, leaving me to deal with my parent's anguish on my own. Or at least I felt like I was alone without her.

Anna wasn't from a wealthy family as I was. She was offered a chance to study in London and leave her life behind in Manchester, until nine years ago.

The day my angel was robbed from me.

Nine years ago...

"Alex! Alex!" Her soft, over-excited voice made me spin my head and push my friend George away.

Anna's legs picked up, and her arms widened as she ran to me. I hugged her closer to my chest, melting into her homely touch and caressing her long, curly hair with my fingers.

"Okay, okay. I'll leave you two lovebirds alone." My friend George raised his hands in surrender.

Anna laughed, that melodic tune whistling in my ears. She picked up her head from the crook of my neck, "I'll see you later, George." She waved him goodbye, and he smiled and left.

I held her cheeks gently and pecked her lips, "How was history?"

"Boring without you." She frowned, and that sight broke my heart. I never wanted to see her sad.

"Ah, I'm sorry, angel. You know I can't do history and robotics at the same time." I groaned, playing with her curls.

She tweaked my nose, which she called as 'cute as a button'. "You're such a nerd, Alex."

"A nerd?" I raised both eyebrows, faking my offence.

She giggled, "You're a cute nerd."

"Cute?" I scrunched my nose, "You can't do better than that?"

She blushed, "A hot nerd, then,"