Chapter 21 - Billionaire's Baby

Alexander Stone

Alexander Stone.

"You ready to go home, hun?" I asked as I zipped up Maxine's coat, and crouched before her in her colourful classroom.

I had her 'Elsa' backpack swung around my right shoulder and we were the last ones left in her classroom. Maxine couldn't find her left shoe. Why it came off in the first place I had no idea.

"Uh-hu. I wanna play teacups," She replied sweetly, her pinkie finger between her lips.

"Mr Stone, I would like to speak with you please!" Mrs Kumar, Maxine's teacher hurried before us.

I hoisted Maxine against my hip, she wrapped her little legs around my waist and my eyebrows furrowed at the teacher, "What is this regarding?"

"I wanted to inform you that Maxine has been excelling in her reading! She reads beautifully and I wanted to ask if it was okay to bump up her reading age?"

The broadest grin stretched across my face. I couldn't contain the pride that filled me.

"Did you hear that, baby girl? I'm so proud of you," I pressed the noisiest, most loving kiss on her forehead.

She giggled as a pinkish blush spread across her chubby cheeks, "I really like reading time!"

"I think it would be really beneficial if Maxine reads the six to seven-year-old range. I have a list of books..." She trailed off as she rounded her desk and pulled out a booklet, "Here, these are books I recommend she really be reading," She handed me the list.

"This is wonderful news. Thank you," I shook Mrs Kumar's hand.

"No problem. Maxine is a bright student and I would do anything to spotlight her accomplishments."

I nodded at her, the wide grin never leaving my face. My daughter was a 'bright student'. I felt proud knowing I was raising a genius. I was going to read to her every day, expand on her abilities, test and—okay, maybe I was getting a little carried away with this. I'd support her no matter what.

I'm just saying the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

We walked out of the classroom and I couldn't get enough of praising my daughter, "You're Daddy's little bookworm, aren't you?" I peppered her face with endless kisses.

"Daddy stoooop!" She groaned, humiliated.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart. It's just, I'm very proud of you."

Her bottom lip trembled, "But-but, what if I can't read the big girl books?" She worried.

"Hey," I cradled her cheeks, "I believe in you. I know you can. It may take a while for you to get it right but mistakes are how we learn. And don't think I won't be there to support you, baby girl," I tweaked her nose and it scrunched adorably.