Victoria

Song - Victoria by the Kinks
Roger's POV
Dinner seemed to stretch on for a lifetime. It seemed like an age had passed between me and Victoria exiting the car once we finally pulled up in my buildings parking lot after finishing our make out session, to closing the door behind Freddie and John as they finally left the house. The hours in between were a blur. I could remember cooking tea, vaguely, jumping into the creative process once I remembered just how bad a cook Victoria actually was, relegating her to the task of chopping tomatoes as I took over the bulk of the actual cooking. My kitchen was spacious, filled with the latest mod-cons including speakers, which Victoria had instantly started blaring the Kinks through, and yet we still ended up bumping into each other at every turn, standing so close as we worked that it was a wonder we didn't injure each other. In the background I was vaguely aware of Freddie and Deaky whispering sly comments about how close we had gotten, and debating just why we were so late home despite having been the car behind them at the first set of traffic lights after the studio. I ignored them.

Then had been the actual eating of dinner, which, given the fact that we had given a child of three who had barely mastered the use of proper cutlery, spaghetti bolognese, had turned into an extreme sport. Between trying to feed Lola in her high chair and trying to inhale my own food before it went cold, I had barely been able to focus on the conversation of the group, the topic of which changed so flexibly it would have been near impossible to keep up with even without the distraction of a small child. Desert, a chocolate gateaux, had proved equally disastrous; Lola had insisted that she were able to feed herself this course and had ended up absolutely coated in chocolate sauce, as had her high chair and the floor surrounding her. I had taken Lola to clean up before she could get chocolate marks on my white leather sofas, insisting that Victoria stay and answer Freddie's endless barrage of questions.

Freddie's questions about Victoria's life in the three year period we were without her were endless. They had started once we first sat down to eat desert and by the time I had cleaned Lola up and settled her for the night, Freddie was still reeling them off, only pausing for hearty gulps of the wine Victoria had poured for everyone. I noticed, with a smile, that she had already poured me one and placed it next to her, giving me the excuse I needed to seat myself beside her on the sofa. Her hand found mine beneath the cushions, giving it a small squeeze much as she had done as we had pulled into the building garage and her hand had rested on top of mine on the gear stick.

I barely focused on the conversation of the group, my mind reeling at the events of the past twenty four hours. I had nearly lost her twice, due to my own stupid actions and yet, she was so much closer to being mine than she had been at daybreak. We had barely been able to stop our passionate kisses in the car. It was taking all my energy not to kiss her right now, in front of everybody.

We weren't together, not yet, but it was a step in the right direction. I knew she liked me, that she had feelings for me, that one day, if I played my cards right, we could be back at that point. She wasn't likely to leave anytime soon.

I could kiss her anytime I wanted.

"I don't want to stop" Victoria had whispered against my lips, between kisses. We were still in the lay-by, her straddling my hips, though our hips hadn't connected yet. Since I had connected our lips, we had been unable to separate, the kissing instead becoming more heated. We were vaguely aware that we had guests waiting for us, guests we had to cook dinner for, but whenever one of us worked up the will power to pull away, the other would pull them back in again.

"Then don't" I instructed, stroking her cheek softly as I reconnected our lips.

"We have to" she mumbled between kisses, but she made no move to end it. She was in as deeply as I was.