Anything but Lovers

Annabeth's POV)

Before I even knew what was happening, she had me pinned against one of the mirrors, and she had her soft lips on my neck, my face nuzzled in her hair, the scent of rose and lavender clouding my mind. I felt like she could ask for ownership of my immortal soul, and I would give it to her, no questions asked. My own hair was untied now, the ribbon on the floor, along with my dress and her suit, and her fingers intertwined with the leather cord around my neck. 

Holding my pendant. 

The pendant Percy gave to me. 

Percy. 

Oh god. Percy. 

She craned her neck up at me. "Babe... You went all stiff. Is everything ok?" She asked, her voice husky and breathless, eyes shining up at me like bright copper pennies, only tarnished to green and blue at the very edges. 

My hands rose from her hips to her shoulders and pushed her away, keeping her at arms length. "Piper, you have to-" I stopped myself. I can't put all the blame on her. This isn't something she just did to me, this is something she did with me. Something I did with her. Something we did together. And I have to take responsibility for that. "... We have to stop. Before this gets any further. I don't know if you still love your boyfriend or not, but... I love mine." 

She nodded, disappointed. "... Are you... Still coming to the dance with me?" 

"Yeah. As friends." I emphasized, picking up the discarded clothes and putting them back on their hangers, back on the rack. I didn't let myself look at her, or any of her reflections, every angle of her on display, in her matching emerald green sports bra and boxers. 

She handed me my ribbon, nails painted seashell pink
 and kept short. "And... After that?" She asked. 

I made sure my fingers didn't touch hers as I grabbed it back. "After that, we'll keep being friends. Best friends. But not lovers." 

"... But we already are." She protested. "So what do we do now? Just act like tonight never happened?" 

"Yes!" I snapped at her, finally turning to face her. She stepped back, frightened. I wonder if she's ever been yelled at before. Probably not. I let out a heavy, shaky sigh, looking down at my bare feet. "... Yes. That's exactly what we do." 

Neither one of us talked the rest of the night. Not as we both changed back into the clothes we brought with us, not as I picked out the glittery silver sandals I'd wear, not as the woman at the desk scanned our items, not as I walked home, because I walked home alone. Not very smart, I know, but I had a switchblade and I wasn't scared to use it. 

Warmth rushed through my body when I remembered who gave it to me and when, followed with sadness, anger, pity, oscillating within me, ripping each other's throats out. 

"I'm sorry, but there's only one bed available." 

He looked down at me. "... You go ahead." 

"But-" 

"Don't argue with me. It'll start raining soon, I can't have you getting sick." He planted a kiss on top of my head, and pressed his knife into my hand. "In case anyone tries to snatch you." He whispered. "Don't let them know you have it." 

I nodded, slipping it into my pocket, and stood on my toes to kiss his cheek. "You'll remember to pick me up in the morning, right?" 

He smiled down at me, his fingers carding through my hair. "Of course. How could I forget my little owlet?"