Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Eric

Two weeks after this last episode and Be still isn't back to normal. Her skin is persistent, staying an ever present white. She has adopted a sheen of sweat that is rarely absent. The shine that left her eyes after her second episode had returned but a whole new problem had replaced it. In the last few days I have noticed how her cheeks have begun to sink deeper into her cheeks.

Yesterday Be told me she had realized her condition was deteriorating and wanted to finish as many things on the list that she could before she was incapable of completing her bucket list. Watching her health go downhill so fast I have started to understand that by the time I start school Be won't be there with me. Because of this epiphany I have booked a dance studio so Be and I can learn how to ballroom dance.

I entered the living room to find Be stretched out on the couch with a full tub of popcorn sitting next to her. I watch her pick at the top layer of popcorn, shifting the snack around to make it look like she ate some of it.

"You might want to put away the popcorn and put on a dancing dress," I suggest.

"What are you talking about?" She cocks her head at me.

"I set up a place for us to learn how to ballroom dance. The fancy way, like in Tangled," I smile at her.

She leans over the couch and hugs me as tight as she could. The pitiful strength of her arms felt like a baby trying to wrap its arms around me.

"Well then I'm going to get dressed into something more ballroom worthy," she stood, her fragile frame wobbling down the hall.

I gather up my laptop and it's charging cord so we can search for instructional videos about ballroom dancing. I dump my electronics into the backseat of my car then return inside to bring Be out to the car.

Be is dressed in a long pink skirt the floats around her like a foggy cloud. She had tucked her shirt into the waistband to make her skirt look more like a dress.

"Ready?" I check

She nods enthusiastically, leading the way down the front porch steps and onto the driveway where my car is parked.

~~~

I was almost done setting up my laptop to play a half hour ballroom dancing tutorial. Be was standing in the center of the room, twiddling her thumbs in excitement. I pulled up the video to full screen and turned to face Be.

The dance studio was a moderate size but had plenty of space to dance in. Stone arches wrapped around the windows and dressing room doors. They were so elegant and detailed I felt like I was in Rome. Pale wooden floors extended across the entirety of the dance floor.

Be's long sweeping skirt brushed the floors with a clumsy grace. We seat ourselves comfortably to watch the video's instructions first before attempting them on our own.

The dancers introduce themselves and explain the movements in the 'box step'. Be and I begin like the instructors, side by side, so we can learn the flow of the dance without stepping on one another's feet.

We sway forward on our left foot then led the right foot away before dragging the left leg behind it. I press replay and we review the dance with the instructors on the screen. Eventually we are spinning around the room together.

"I wish I could dance like this forever. This is so much more fun than sitting on the couch watching re-runs," Be laughs.

I smile down at her; if it were only possible for her to dance like this forever.