Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Eric

My tie is crooked and one end of my collar is twisted up but I know this is the best that I can do today. Today I bury my best friend; today is the last time I will ever see Be in person. I slowly crawl up of the Lynn's stairs to the second door on the left. The space that used to be Be's room.

The bed is still made, the floor is still clear of dirty clothes, and the air still smelled like strawberry shampoo but Be was gone and soon this room would follow.

Mr. Lynn had wanted to move after his wife passed away but and Be convinced him to stay. Now that she is gone he has given up on living in that house and forgetting all the bad memories. I take in the space that once belonged to my best friend for the last time.

I make eye contact with Tux who is curled on her bed. "You ready?" I ask him.

~~~

The box at the center of the graveyard was stained with a dark cherry finish. Orange roses and orange ribbons graced the center of her casket.

An extra-large picture of Be was propped up to the right of her coffin. I recognized it from a year ago, before we found out about the leukemia. It was picture day; her hair was curled and she was wearing her favorite blue sweater. Her teeth were a bright pearly white and they were displayed with a huge smile. I'll never see her smile again.

I sit up in the front row with Mr. Lynn, Val and Be's grandmother on her mom's side, the only grandparent she had left. Mr. Lynn started the ceremony with a short speech concluding the best parts of Be's life.

"Phoebe Lynn was only seventeen years old when she passed away. I am sure that all of us wish we had more time to spend with her. She was an amazing daughter, sister, granddaughter, friend, and student. Although it isn't fair that she was taken so soon from us. We must celebrate her life, I am sure that is what she would have wanted. In honor of my daughter's favorite movie I'd like us to sing, See the Light."

Row after row of distant family and fellow students rise and begin to singe the first notes of Be's favorite song. I feel my eyes sting at the corners, I'll never get to hear her sing this song again. As the song comes to an end I prepare myself for the walk up to the podium and my own speech that will follow.

My steps sound like thunder against the uncaring dirt ground. I reach into pants pocket of my suit and pull out two sheets of paper, one was my speech regarding Be, the other was her bucket list.

I take a single deep breath and begin, "Be was my best friend. We were there for each other through everything, up until the end. When I got the news that my best friend would probably not make it until the end of summer," I pause, "I didn't know how to handle it."

"To help Be, as well as myself, accept the reality of this disease I suggested she create a bucket list. Together we made a list of things Be wanted to do and to have before she couldn't be here anymore. Unfortunately she was unable to complete everything on the list but I do intend to complete the rest of the bucket list.

"At Be's request I will be caring for her pig, Tux, until he passes on to see his first owner. I brought Tux her for Be, I'm sure she would want him to be here for her.

"Our school," I address my fellow classmates, "will be honoring Be's life on the first day of school when we start up next month. I'd really like for you all to sign the available blank posters as a sendoff for Be."

I step back down and sit beside Tux before I start to cry over the death of my best friend.