Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Eric

I make myself as comfortable as possible in the hospital waiting room. These four walls have become Be and I's home away from home. We are used to it but I hope this time we are only here for a little while. I think this place truly sucks the life out of its patients.

Mr. Lynn and his daughter rush in through the doors.

"Is she alright? What happened to her?" he fumbles his words.

"We were at the drive in and I left to go to the bathroom. By the time I got back she had passed out in the front seat. I think she was throwing up blood again but I can't be sure," I tell him. "The doctors haven't said anything except that it is worse than before but this was expected I guess."

"So it's like normal, right?" he checks.

"Probably," I guess.

Val sighs and slides in between her dad and I. Mr. Lynn takes off his jacket to hang it on his little girl's shoulders. Val yawns before curling into a ball and falling into a worry free sleep.

As the hours pass I begin to drift off but just as my eyes begin to close a doctor is asking for the family of Phoebe Lynn.

Mr. Lynn lifts Val into his arms, her arms looping around his neck and head falling on his shoulder.

As the hours pass I begin to dose off but just as my eyes shut the doctor entered the room asking for the family of Phoebe Lynn. The three of us glide up to the doctor in the door way leading to the emergency care unit.

"Mr. Lynn?" he asks. Be's dad steps forward adjusting Val on his shoulder. "Your daughter is temporarily unconscious. Although we believe she is going to be fine, at least as fine as she can be, her condition is unsure as of now."

"What's that supposed to mean is my daughter okay?" he questions.

"As far as we know she will be fine once she wakes up. However there are a few complications, we have expected her condition to worsen in the next few weeks but it had taken a nose dive with this episode. Right now we are hoping for the best but nothing is certain," the doctor clarifies.

"Can we see her?" I cross my fingers mentally.

"Of course, go on back," the doctor sweeps his hand at the door he came through.

Be was in the third room on the right. Her thin frame is tucked under the flannel blankets of the hospital bed. The permanent purple shadows under her eye lashes seemed more prominent than usual. The blonde sections of tangled hair grace the pillows of her temporary bed.

An IV is taped to the inside of her elbow, the tube travels up to a baggie of fluid hanging on a transportable hook. Varieties of machines beep and buzz by her head.

Be's dad laid Val at the foot of her sister's bed to sleep. We took our seats by Be's bed and began the wait until she would wake up.

I decide to resume my almost nap from the waiting room. My snores blend with the noisy machines across the room.

Sometime later I am once again awoken by the noise of doctors and nurses. However I am shocked to see them surrounding Be's bed with concerned looks gracing their faces. I stayed in my confused sleepy state until I heard the steady ring from the first machine in the corner.

A bright red flat line slaps me in the face. I look down to make sure I hadn't slept walked into a different room. Be was still wrapped in hospital blankets, seemingly safe and sound under the covers. My eyes widen in shock, my best friend isn't breathing and the doctors have stopped working.

"Why aren't you helping her?" I stand up. "Why did you stop working on her?" I shout.

A nurse walks up to me and holds her hands up in surrender. "There isn't anything more we can do to help. I'm sorry, sir," she apologizes. The buzzing stops as one of the doctors unplugs Be's heart monitor.

I can't breathe, my best friend is gone. I see Mr. Lynn crying at the foot of Be's bed. Val is still asleep but has been moved to one of the side chairs. I sink to my knees unable to understand that the only girl I ever loved is dead.