Chapter 5 The Game

Carl: Well, let's get a move on ghost.

Klonoa writing: KLONOA! NOT GHOST!

Carl: I am not good with names. I'll get it later. 

Klonoa finds Carl's 180 mood changes odd. Not long ago he was crying about how scared he was but is now almost laughing. Klonoa hopes he can still protect him. Klonoa looks around at the destruction he had caused. There doesn't even seem to be any more monsters and the mist was gone. 

Carl: I'm going crazy aren't I? Doesn't matter. Come my invisible friend! It's time to grind some XP and level up. After all I am the protagonist that will save the world.

Klonoa: Huh?

Carl runs off and Klonoa follows behind him. The ground shakes and from the mud, the remains of the destroyed trees a creature forms. It was massive as it looms over the trees. The closest approximation of what it looks like is a deer with massive antlers with sharp teeth growing off of it. The "Deer" had one central eye looks as if it were made of fire. It opens its jaw which splits into two parts. It roars and the dread it creates is palatable.

Carl: ... I guess I'll need to skip my own phase one and go straight to phase two.

Klonoa: I know you can't hear me but don't be dumb! You don't even have a weapon!

Carl: Haha! Behold! My unique weapon that I only use against the worthy! Feel honored that you are stru-

Thousands of wood splinters are shot out of the creature. Klonoa out of habit reaches for his ring, but realizes that it wouldn't work. 

Klonoa: WATCH OUT!!!

Klonoa watches Carl run straight toward the creature and the incoming attack instead of running away or focus on defence. Klonoa is horrified. Carl is pierced by a countless number of large wooden splinters, but nothing slowed him down and Carl throws something at the ground and punches one of the "deer" creature's legs. It didn't seem to do anything and large bladed tentacles made of bone that were coated in acid comes out of it's leg and impale Carl. Suddenly from the leg they hear a loud snapping of bone and the leg twists out of shape causing the creature to fall from losing balance all of a sudden. Carl seems fine somehow. There isn't a scratch on Carl but he is drinking a lot of red liquid from bottles.

Carl: Haha! Didn't expect I would make a critical attack did you?! 

Klonoa doesn't know what was going on but he knows the monster isn't done and so he runs over to it. Klonoa stabs it in the eye with the helt of the sword as he couldn't pull the sword out. The eye flickers before going out. The beast turns into a red ooze.

Carl: Huh?! Why did it die all of a sudden?! Was it you?! 

Klonoa writing on the ground: WHY DIDN'T YOU RUN?!

Carl: It's because of my gamer ability. I won't actually bleed out or receive wounds. I have a HP bar and OP gear. Hehe! Ooooh! Hold on a moment! I leveled up!

Klonoa's thoughts: Is..... This all a game to him? Wait... Maybe... He is a dream traveler! Like me! Just with different abilities.

Carl: Though... I have never had someone who isn't there help me. It... Is nice not knowing your stats. Whatever it is that you did I am glad. Would you like to join my party? Also what is your role if you were a game character? I could use a tank.

Klonoa writes: Yes? DPS. 

Carl: Well.... we still need a healer and support. Welcome to the team! If you hold out your hand  you can open up my group chat.