Chapter 12

Klonoa is running through the misty forest. The mist grew thicker but Klonoa didn't particularly care. Klonoa got chills as if a great evil was near that was more than just the mindless monsters he fought. Klonoa smiled. He almost enjoyed this.

Klonoa: Don don don don Waaahoo!

Klonoa goes through the mist and arrives at a port of some kind. The smell of rotten fish, blood, and waste filled the air. Klonoa gagged several times, but he didn't leave. He could feel the aura of evil radiating off of this place.

Klonoa: Nasty..... Surely no one lives here-

A bell is struck and people come out of their houses. Klonoa just realizes that while the houses seem to be in a state of extreme disrepair they are all fancy and luxurious houses. They have their own street lamps which are using flame. All the metal linings are either gold or silver. There is jewels and gold coins in every building just laying there. The men are elderly and dressed in damp and moldy suits. Klonoa sees very few women here. 

Klonoa: Sigh... The rich men exploiting the women... 

Klonoa watches as humanoid aquatic monsters crawl out of the ocean and onto the port and people are gathering around. Klonoa knows that isn't good and he rushes in and jumps into the air before propelling himself down and striking down one of these monsters. The people look horrified or even angry. Klonoa would be confused, but he doesn't have the time to be a hero and ask what was wrong. On the dock monsters kept crawling up and lunging themselves at him nonstop. Every monster killed released the smell of rotten fish. Klonoa is having a hard time focusing on not throwing up. Eventually he had to and got slashed with sharp claws.

Klonoa: Gha!

Klonoa gets back up quickly, he knows that he would get ripped apart if he keeps making mistakes like that. He isn't given much of a chance to leap away and move somewhere else. Klonoa grabs his sheathed sword and makes a sweeping vertical slash creating a cutting wave of wind that clears the monsters. A fat elderly man comes up to Klonoa.

Man: Do you know what you have done!? They weren't hostile until you attacked!  Now more will come and they will demand more from us!

Klonoa coldly: Have you fought them before?

Klonoa already feels like something isn't right.

Man: Of course not! They leave us alone and even give us gold when-

Klonoa: Offerings. Is that it?

Man: And you knew-

Klonoa: I heard enough. You. SICK....Monsters.

Klonoa was questioning where they had the luxury to indulge in not just mere buildings for survival but detailed living spaces. Even if there was no danger they are hoarding wealth instead of using it to make repairs and clean the port of its horrid odour. This in turn would deter any tourist or trader and no new money would be made. They had to get their riches from somewhere or something. Klonoa deduced that they were making offerings to the monsters of the ocean an in return for continued offerings they were given wealth.

Klonoa: ENOUGH. I am repulsed by this place's behavior. Listen up because this is the only warning I am going to give. You are going to go back and fortify your houses and you will no longer give offerings to those monsters.

The rich men were enraged. They scrambled at him. Klonoa dodged them easily. Klonoa noted that some of them had monsterous grafts or mutated limbs. Klonoa ends up finding the one person not participating in trying to strangle him. Klonoa assumes he is in charge like a mayor.