part fifteen: realize

"Where do you wanna start?" Bucky is the first to break the silence, looking to you.

You shrug, "fuck if I know," you're blunt with it.

How do you start an interrogation that involves years of deception and kidnapping? You really didn't know.

"I can try and explain," Fitz offers, fidgeting with his hands in front of him nervously, "last year we had to save the world."

"We've done that a few times too," Sam responds curtly, crossing his arms, "cut to the chase."

"In order for us to do that," Fitz continues, "we needed to travel through time."

"Again," Bruce points out, "that's nothing new for us."

You shudder at the mere mention of time travel, prompting Ikaris to place a hand on your shoulder. Instinctively you lean into him, and give him a small smile.

"What does it have to do with me?" You speak up.

"We figured out how to travel through our timeline," Fitz starts again, "just not others."

"Interdimensional time travel," You say and Fitzsimmons nods.

"Explain the connection," Ikaris cuts to the chase next to you.

"Y/N," Fitz looks directly at you now, "you were our first mission as a SHIELD team. Do you remember what happened after we found you?"

-

"I worked in a lab," you furrow your eyebrows, trying to recall specifics, "I can't remember the name of it though."

"Well no worries," the girl in front of you with a lab coat says smoothly as she points to various instruments, "we'll be able to test what you know and don't."

You nod along, looking at a specific bench with lots of blueprints, noticing an equation scribbled out on a sheet of paper. You pick it up, reading over the multiple lines of arithmetic, grabbing a pen on instinct and scribbling on the sheet.

"Hey hey no no no," The man next to her grabs the paper from your hand, "that is not for your eyes! I doubt you even know what the equation is fo-" he trails off though as he looks at your marks, eyes wide.

You shrug, "simple fix."

He shakes his head, bewildered, "no, not a simple fix."

He shakes the paper in front of the girls face, "Jemma look, she fixed it!" He turns to you, "I've been working on this since I was 13."

"And you were doing it wrong," you deadpan before walking over to the microscope and taking a look.

You don't notice the two sharing a look at your discovery, baffled that you were even able to comprehend his writing.

"So you know how to study quantum physics, and nothing else?"

You shrug, "science comes naturally to me."

"I think we could use you on our team," the agent you spoke to earlier is at the door, clearly the leader.

"I think I want to figure out who I am," you scoff, "and who you guys are."

"I'm Phil Coulson," he sticks his hand out, "an agent of a secret government organization. I run a small group of agents that travel around the world answering calls that local law enforcement can't deal with."

"So what am I? Your first case?" You tilt your head at him, "do you recruit everyone or am I special?"

"So far we're two for two," the guy mumbles, but Jemma elbows him in the side.