part ten: retrace

Ikaris has been married to you for around 6,000 years.

He's loved you longer.

The time you were together, he thanked the fates above for being introduced to you. For being in the same space as you. For just being in your presence.

He didn't think you'd ever feel the same way. He tried flirting with you, but you just shrugged him off.

You didn't realize he'd really only smile fully around you. Or laugh out loud at the jokes only you had made.

Your jokes weren't that funny.

He visited you in the lab often, trying to make up an excuse to see you. He'd act dumb, and you'd be more than willing to explain the use of the plow to him.

He waited decades to tell you how he felt. Not out of fear of rejection, though it wouldn't be kind. He hesitated because he was too scared to lose you. He'd rather have you as a friend, than nothing at all.

Decades turned into centuries though, and he couldn't take it anymore.

He had to let you know what he felt. Had felt it for years.

The day Ikaris told you about his feelings for you, you nearly knocked him over with the force of you hugging him.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?" You berate him, but you're smiling with your arms around his neck.

He shrugs, arms around your waist, "I didn't think you felt the same way?"

"This may come as a surprise," you lean in, hitting your nose gently against his, "but I'm not that passionate about the plow."

"Can I be honest?"

You nod, waiting for him to continue.

"Neither am I," he whispers against your lips before he's pressing your lips to his.

He zones back in on the present.

2024.

You're in front of him, arm stretched behind you as you lead him down the hall.Your hand is warm in his, gently tugging him to your bedroom.

You stop at your door and turn around, giving him a shy smile.

You open the door to your room and he closes it behind him gently.

The air is thick with anticipation as you turn towards him.

He wants you.

There's no disputing it.

But more than that, he wants to take his time. He doesn't want to rush you into this.

If you regret doing anything with him, he'd never forgive himself for it.

So even though you're looking at him nearly like you used to, he points to the bathroom, "got an extra toothbrush?"

You tilt your head at him, "you want to brush your teeth right now?"

He nods, "it's late. Remember?"

"Okay," you reply softly.

You have a small frown on your face, making a crease at the center of your eyebrows. He wants to rub his finger over it, to smooth it out, but refrains himself.

You turn and walk into the bathroom.

Ikaris stands in the doorway while you fish out an extra toothbrush. You hand it to him silently and make your way to your door. You don't say anything as you open it and walk out of your room.