Recruits

POV Rosalie

On Friday Eric and I are unpacking the paintball guns and repacking the duffle bags with neuro-sim darts.

"How's your car been?" I ask.

"I hate so many of them." He says and I snort at that. "The recruits?"

"They're awesome. They've started trying to guess who wrote what song. They're almost always wrong, but they're trying."

"I can't believe you brought out the playlist."

"What? They're good songs!"

"Did you have to make it into a car game though?" He asks.

"No." I say through laughter.

"Hey." Miles says, walking up with Sidney.

"Hey." Eric and I say in unison.

"Headed to Amity?" Miles asks, noting the change of weapon.

"Yeah." Eric says.

"Should be interesting since we'll be running into either your platoon or mine." Sidney says as Miles hugs me to him.

"I prefer you on the Bus."

"Running the more dangerous route. That makes sense." Eric says.

"She's at least being a sniper on a bus." Miles says.

"Eric, shut up." I say, feeling Miles' racing heart under my head. Sidney finishes helping Eric while I stand off to the side with Miles, trying to calm him.

"Loverboy!" Rocko calls.

"Seriously, just once?" SLAW from 502 begs, holding up his neuro-sim gun.

"No. Pyro, kiss your girl and come on." Howdy the leader of 502, orders. Miles kisses me deeply and presses his forehead to mine for a few seconds before walking away.

I love you. Please come back to me.

I will, even if I have to push Four down to sacrifice him to the factionless. I respond. Everyone can hear Miles' laughter at that. I love you.

"Being an alpha really sucks sometimes." Sidney says and Eric nods his agreement.

"And I haven't even claimed my mate yet."

"So you two are getting closer?" I ask and he sends me a death glare. "Considering Miles and I had to step in to make sure she'd give you the time of day I think I deserve to be a little nosey."

"Yes, she and I are much closer and actually enjoying each other's company." Eric says and I nod my thanks for the update.

I'm loading up ammo when Four and the initiates walk in.

"About time." Sidney says, gaining a dirty look from Four. "I make no apologies, we're visiting my route today."

"Have we visited your route, Rosalie?" Marlene asks.

"No."

"So we will today?"

"No. I have the roughest route, nicknamed the Middle. Only the elite are taken into the platoon because only the best can handle what we go through. We will not be visiting the Middle." I say and the initiates share looks. "Now, Amity is extremely dangerous. We've had you on paintball guns for the last few days, but we're moving you to sim darts for today for extra protection."

"How come we didn't use sim darts when going through Erudite and Dauntless?" Peter asks curiously.

"The four of us had sim dart guns and we were going with Faction Guards. You didn't need them. This is a whole other story. The Middle is brutal, but so is Amity. Amity is just short of the Middle, so stay on your guard, watch each other's back, keep your eyes open, and no playing around. This isn't a joke." I say and they nod.