Celebrate the Little Victories

DC was not your normal child and that was okay. He didn't like to be loud or make messes, which the dads would've been used to because of Gov, and instead opted to be quiet, keep to himself unless he was trailing his sister, and want cuddles. There was also the fact that he didn't talk which worried the hell out of Georgia. All the Mass visits, Betsey calling in some of the doctors she could afford, all of them had no answer why he didn't talk. Why sometimes he melted down when the noses were too loud or he was overstimulated. Penn and Kentucky tried to reassure Georgia that their little boy was fine and he would talk eventually like the rest of their children but Georgia wasn't too sure.

"Well." Betsey mumbled over some tea one afternoon when she came to pick up Gov after school. "What can he do?"

"Not much." Georgia mumbled holding his tea cup in his hands. He could hear the babies laughing outside, Gov running ahead in their little game clearly in charge with IDC following, dragging a laughing DC behind her. "He can laugh, he can make noise, but other than that there's nothing."

"He can make noise. So he's showing he can communicate." Betsey pointed out gently. "Why don't you celebrate the little things?"

"The little things?" Georgia whispered.

"Ya know, the small ways he shows communication. That might encourage him to try it more and more. Who knows, it might get him to talk." Betsey suggested. Georgia bit his lip and sat back in his chair looking out the window again. Outside, IDC had now taken charge, and it was Gov chasing her dragging DC behind him. All three were so happy, so content, so unaware of what their names and livelihoods would be someday. Georgia sighed.

"It's worth a try."

On Tuesday, Georgia stepped briefly outside the farm house to collect more water for his washing. Kentucky was out in the barn, Penn was off in town, the twins were supposedly napping and of course Gov was in school. Georgia went to the well with the heavy bucket, cursing his fiance's wonderful building abilities when a piece of bloomers fell on his head. Georgia paused, pulled the undergarments off his head, and then as soon as he did another piece of laundry hit him. He finally looked up just as a dress fluttered down, to see DC standing at the window tossing his and IDC's newly washed clothes out the window. He paused when he saw Georgia and waved.

"Daddy!" DC greeted.

"George Kelly-Wright. Ya know you ain't supposed to do that." Georgia scolded before freezing. "W-What....what did you say?" Another sock fluttered down.

"Daddy!" DC cheered, clapping his little hands. Georgia stood stunned, his babies first word, his babies first word! Sure he said it while doing something naughty but he spoke!! Georgia didn't even notice Penn approaching him until he felt a bearded pair of lips kiss his cheek.

"What's going on here?" Penn asked.

"Georgie was throwing his and IDC's clean laundry out the window!" Georgia said almost too happily. Penn raised an eyebrow. "And he said daddy!"

"W-Wha?" Penn gasped as another sock fluttered down. He knew he should be mad at his son for throwing the laundry but he spoke! He actually spoke! He looked back up at the window. "Georgie! Say it again! Say Pa!"

"Pa!" DC cheered, throwing one of his shirts down. At this point the pair of dads couldn't care one bit that the clothes that were being thrown would have to be rewashed. Clothes could be washed over and over again. All that mattered, as the pair embraced, was that their son said his first word! They'd scold him later.

A few days later, Kentucky was in the basement of the home hanging up some of his equipment from the day when something spilled on the floor. Kentucky didn't rush up the stairs but he did have a pep in his step when hurried up to the top floor. He turned into the kitchen to see DC sat in his chair with his bowl on the floor, his porridge spread all around. Kentucky sighed.

"Georgie spilled his food again?" Kentucky asked softly, going to grab a rag to clean.

"He did but Tucky!" Georgia stopped Kentucky before he grabbed the rag. "He made the motion for no." Kentucky paused, tilting his head at his husband.

"No?" Kentucky whispered.

"I made it too hot and I didn't realize it. I'm so used to making it extra mushy for Gov I must've lost focus on the porridge for the twins. Georgie tried to tell me and made the no motion. It doesn't excuse him tossing his porridge off the table but baby he communicated with me!" Georgia explained with a big smile. Kentucky bit his lip and looked at his son who looked back at him with his big brown eyes. He smiled and walked over, kissing his forehead and making him giggle.

"Well done." Kentucky said with a smile, grimacing as he stepped in porridge. "But next time, knock it on your sister's plate."

The chicks dotted the open yard, pecking around looking for bugs or the spare worm. DC followed behind them, keeping an eye on all the little yellow birds. He took his job as chick watcher very seriously, and not one escaped his little stare. The dads watched from the front porch quietly, next to them Gov colored, and out into the yard IDC made sure each chick stayed in the circle of protection DC created. Georgia took a sip of his coffee rocking in his chair. DC was making great progress with communicating, he wasn't fully talking yet but the dads were slowly understanding what he wanted and how to respond to them. It'd be a long road ahead of them but they could do it. Georgia jumped when he felt a hand on his arm and turned to see Penn smiling at him. Off on his right, Kentucky kissed his cheek and the two settled into a small cuddle pile as a chick hopped up on Gov's book and DC came running over worried that his little chick got lost. "He'll get there." Penn whispered, rubbing Georgia's arm. Georgia smiled at his fiancees and settled back into watching their children as the sun set in the horizon casting a beautiful orange glow over their fields. "Yes. He will." Georgia said as Gov wiped his book off from the chick germs. "And if he doesn't? Well we'll love him anyway. Because that's what dads do." Georgia said to a satisfied hum from Kentucky. He sighed once again and took a sip of his coffee. "That's what dad's do."