Chapter Eight

~Friday, Halloween~

I wake to my alarm blaring in my ear, I smack it a few times to silence the god forsaken sound. I yawn and rub the sleep from my eyes as I sit up in bed. For the first time since I arrived in Hawkins I am actually celebrating my favorite holiday. I am excited to start the school day to see Eddie and then tonight I am going to Steve’s Halloween party. Maybe I can see if Eddie wants to come with me, I ask myself. I have seen the way Eddie and Steve look at one another, it borders on jealousy, yet there isn't really hate behind their eyes when they look at one another. I don’t know what it is exactly, but it really isn’t my business, even though I want the two to get along as they are my two best friends now.

The school is allowing students to come to school dressed in their costumes as long as they are school appropriate for our Spirit Week. The school decided to try a costume contest for the pep rally for all who want to participate. Despite me only being there for only a week, I want to participate. I smile to myself while grabbing the Halloween costume my mother helped me make last year. The crushed blood red velvet material pools around my feet before I pull on the thigh high Victorian style boots on. I fix the black fishnet stockings through the thigh slits of the dress, I run my hands over the material to smooth it out before moving onto fixing my hair. Once my hair is pulled back into a tight updo and I fix the strays to frame my face, I move onto tying the matching blood red velvet ribbon around my neck.

“Oh shit!”, I hear a surprised voice come from my bedroom door, I turn and see Robin looking at me with wide eyes. “Is that the Little Red Riding Hood costume from last year?”, she asks, I nod. I showed her photos of the party I went to in this exact costume. “Yeah, the same one Mother helped me make. I just need to find the cloak.”, I say, I rummage through my closet once more. I emerge from it with a triumphant smile, “Got it.”, I exclaim excitedly. She smiles at me happily while she watches me wrap it around my shoulders and tie it closed. She gives me a small hug before leaving me be, she has to leave earlier than me to help set up for the pep rally and get her own costume together. I place what I need for the school day in a bag that matches my costume before heading downstairs to grab a bite to eat on the way out the door.

—---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I place my bag into the crook of my elbow as I grab two slight handfuls of the material before I begin to walk up the entrance of the school. I notice heads turn to look my way, I ignore them as I continue to make my way to my first class of the day. I am just about to make it to the doorway when I see Eddie coming from the opposite way, his eyes widen as soon as he sees me. The look of astonishment makes my face grow warm. “Wow, you look…wow.”, he states once he stops in front of me. “Thank you kind Sir.”, I smile and give him a small bow as I fall into character, he chuckles softly and gives a bow back, “Of course my Lady.”. 

I can’t help but smile at the exchange, my heart flutters when he takes a step to stand beside me and holds out his leather clad arm towards me, “May I escort you into class my Lady?”, he puts on a dramatic, imitated English accent. I giggle softly and gently place my hand into the crook of his elbow, “Of course.”, and with a nod we walk into class together. I try to not let the looks we receive get under my skin as we take our seats at the back of the classroom. “I mean it Y/n, you look wow.”, he states once we are in our seats. I smile over at him, “Thank you, my mom helped me make it last year for Halloween. Little Red Riding Hood has always been my favorite story, especially the Brothers Grimm version.”, I explain. 

Once everyone is in their seats and the teacher starts the class, I take out a piece of notebook paper and begin to write on it. “Hey, Steve is throwing a Halloween party tonight, I want to know if you would like to go with me.”, I scribble quickly before folding it in half and sliding it onto Eddie’s desk quickly. Eddie quirks up a brow before taking the paper into his hands, I watch his eyes scan the words on it before he grabs his pen to scribble down his response. Once he is finished, he slides the folded up sheet of paper back onto my desk, “I have a few things to do with the guys tonight, I can certainly try to swing by later.”, his response reads, deep down I feel dejected, like I was expecting this response.