Chapter Fourteen

March 23-26, 1986

I wake to the sound of soft whimpering in my lap, I open my eyes slowly to see Eddie slightly tossing his head side to side as more whimpers escape his parted lips. I slowly bring my hand up to cup his cheek gently, “Eds, baby.”, I whisper softly as to not jolt him awake, I jump when his eyes shoot open and he sits up suddenly. I notice the thin sheen of sweat across his forehead because it causes his bangs to stick to his skin, his tear-filled eyes finally looking my way. “Oh baby, I know.”, is all I can say before his arms are around my waist and he buries his face into my neck. I rub his back in a soothing manner while slowly carding my fingers through his hair, “I’m here.”, I say in an attempt to calm him. After about fifteen minutes, he pulls away and looks around the room, “Where’s Steve?”, he asks me. “He’ll be here in a bit, I sent him home last night to rest while I stayed here since we both couldn’t.”, I explain. 

I speak to Steve and the others over the walkie while Eddie nervously paces the boathouse, “Give us another ten minutes and we’ll be there.”, Steve says over the walkie-talkie. Eddie seems to relax just slightly at the sound of Steve’s voice, it calms me a bit too. I pull myself to my feet and approach Eddie, “The nightmares eventually do slow down after a bit.”, I state. He looks at me sadly, “I couldn’t do anything to save her Y/n, I just ran.”, fresh tears fill his eyes as he speaks. He turns his face into my touch when I place my hand upon his cheek, “There wasn’t anything you could do babe, Vecna’s hold was just too strong.”, I explain to him. “And it is perfectly fine to be afraid, I was and still am scared of all of this.”, I tell him, he places his hand over mine and smiles sadly. “But you aren’t alone, Eds, you will never be alone. I am here, Steve is here, the others are here.”, I add.

We stand there in silence with his forehead pressed against mine when there is a sound of closing car doors, I motion for him to stay where he is while I sneakily look out the window. I let out a relieved sigh when I see the others walking up to the boathouse. I give him a nod to let him know it’s okay before making my way to the door, I open it in time for Steve to be the first inside the boathouse. He doesn’t seem to be hiding it anymore because he moves past me quickly to go to Eddie, the two quickly wrap their arms around one another in a tight hug. “What?”, I hear Dustin comment at the scene before him, I look towards him and smile softly, “Long story, maybe we’ll tell you when you’re older.”, I quip. He rolls his eyes in response, but says nothing more as the others follow behind him inside with bags of food in hand.

I stand beside Steve as he leans against the wooden support while we explain to Eddie what has been going on in Hawkins the past few years in detail. We all start pinballing ideas of how to find and fight this Vecna while Eddie shoves his Honeycombs into his mouth, his eyes still filled with fear. We also tell him the news of how he is the number one suspect in Chrissy’s death much to our dismay, and the on-going manhunt for him. We all try to assure him that we will keep him safe and hidden from the cops and of course Jason who has no doubt started some rumors about Eddie. I am talking with Eddie and Steve when there is a faint sound of sirens sounding in the distance, we all rush to hide Eddie back under the tarp in the boat before stepping outside.

We are met with the sight of a crime scene once after we follow the speeding cop car, Steve and I nod towards Nancy who is being questioned by a police officer. We all end up meeting at her house to go over what has been found, cluewise that is. I radio Eddie over the walkie to let him know what we are going to be doing, he doesn’t seem too happy about the entire situation, but understands we have to follow the leads, as to wherever they lead. Steve and I finally have a moment to talk alone at the Wheeler house, “I am so fucking scared Steve.”, I whisper to him. He places his hands on my arms gently, “I know, I am too. So fucking terrrified.”, he tells me. “After we find and kill this Vecna, we need to clear Eddie.”, I state, he nods in agreement, “Definitely. It will take some convincing to show people he isn’t what they think he is, but we will do it.”, he adds. I let out a sad sigh before wrapping my arms around his torso, he holds me closely and we stand there in silence.