Chapter Seventeen

June 1986

~Eddie's POV~

For some odd reason I can understand the demobat's chitters, as if it is speaking actual words. My heart saddens when it lets me know about what Steve and Y/n have been up to, so Y/n is still having nightmares, I think to myself. I guess it is to be expected, she had to witness me die, she held me in her arms as I died. I can still picture her begging for me to hang on, baby doll I wish I had, I say internally. It has been two months since I sent the demobat to keep an eye on my loves, in that time I have gotten my new hunger under control, yet the longer summer days have been making it hard to get out and about. I know it isn't safe for me regardless, because if someone recognizes me, I am done for. I receive word from my little critter pal that Y/n finally graduated, I shed a tear in joy for her. She finally did what we were going to do together, yet she hasn't left Hawkins. With the threat of Vecna still being alive, I can understand why she and Steve are sticking around to help the others prepare for his arrival. But they won't be alone, I will also be joining this fight, for Vecna ripped me away from the people I love and turned me into this monster.

—---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Y/n's POV~ 

A loud shriek escapes my lips when I exit the shower, the sight of a single, tiny demobat makes my heart nearly leap out of my chest. "Is everything okay?", I hear Steve ask while knocking on the bathroom door. I pull my towel tighter around my body, my eyes never leaving the softly chittering beast, "Um… Yeah.", I tell Steve. I lean closer towards the winged creature, "What are you doing here?", I ask. It chitters softly as it hesitantly moves towards me on the windowsill. I know this thing should disgust and terrify me, but it is being non-threatening towards me. Plus it is smaller than the demobats I previously encountered, "Um..Steve we have a little visitor.", I call out to my boyfriend.

"What?", he sounds confused on the other side of the door. I open the door with the little critter perched on my shoulder, "This little fella.", I tell him. Steve's eyes widen, "What the fuck?!", he shouts out in shock, the demobat chitters in a scared manner and nestles itself closer into the crook of my neck. The creature’s actions give us both pause, Steve tilts his head slightly to watch the creature’s movements. His eyes widen more when the demobat looks up at Steve then hops from my shoulder to Steve’s. Steve looks at me with a look as if to ask me what to do, I shrug, “He could’ve attacked me in the bathroom, but he didn’t.”, I tell Steve, the winged creature chitters in my direction as if to confirm this fact for Steve. 

We stand there for a moment in silence watching the demobat move around Steve’s shoulders before it flies off of his shoulder towards Steve’s bed, “I know I should be disgusted, but I can’t bring myself to be. I know they killed Eddie, but this one seems different, as if it has a mind of its own.”, I voice as I watch the demobat hops in a small circle in the middle of Steve’s bed. Steve still looks skeptical, “Maybe so, but if anything happens we get rid of it.”, he tells me. I give him a nod, the demobat chitters happily before making itself comfortable in the bed, the sight for some reason makes me think of Eddie, the happy noises the young man would make just before falling asleep. It’s derpiness also reminds me of Eddie. I don’t know why this demobat is here and why it isn’t attacking, but I cannot bring myself to get rid of it.

—---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------