Chapter Nineteen

[Warning: Language, Violence, Slight Gore]

~August 1986~

Steve, Eddie, and I have spent the better part of the past month helping dispatch the monsters that emerge from the gates that have nearly engulfed the entirety of Hawkins, our home. Eleven’s abilities have become stronger, but so has Vecna’s, he keeps taunting us, plaguing all of us with nightmares. But this doesn’t stop us from preparing for the battle, our final battle against him and his monsters. Eddie’s own vampiric abilities have evolved to the point where he is able to take control over a few of Vecna’s creatures. Everyone was terrified by this, but Steve and I have been nothing but supportive of him, now that we have a small assortment of demobats, demogorgons, and demodogs at our side. All of us fear that we may not all make it out alive, but that isn’t stopping us from doing what needs to be done.

—---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once everyone has finished getting dressed for taking the fight to Vecna in the Upside Down as well as keeping some of the group here, we all crowd around in the spacious living room of Steve’s house, “Keep in contact at all times, if anything goes south, Eddie, Steve, and Y/n will rush back here.”, Eleven states to all of us. The three of us planned to join her in the Upside Down to fight Vecna, we all had a bone to pick with the monster, he put us through literal hell for months and hurt someone we love deeply. Robin pulls me aside as everyone converses together, “Please be careful Y/n.”, her eyes show a fear for us, I place my hands on her shoulders in an assuring manner, “I will, we will. I promise.”, I tell her. I can’t stop the tears that fill my eyes as I watch tears fill her’s, she pulls me into a tight hug.

—---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking into Eddie’s eyes as he fixes the collar of my jacket, he smiles at me sweetly, “If I tell you to run, you run okay?”, he states, he looks between Steve and I, we both hesitate before nodding. Eddie’s new confidence with fighting, no longer afraid, has allowed him to be our protector, he would do whatever he deems necessary to keep us safe despite our protestations. Him and Eleven are the first line of attack with Steve and I being their back-up alongside our small assortment of creatures under Eddie’s control. Steve, Eddie, Eleven, and I face the gaping fissure before us before making a leap of faith into it. Surprisingly our landing is easy, but finding our way through the falling ash and stepping over the immense amount of vines proves harder.

I jump slightly at the sound of soft growling coming from beside me, I turn my face to see a demogorgon coming to rest beside me. It chitters in my direction in a non-threatening way, as does the demodog coming to rest beside Steve to my right. Eddie has commanded a single demodog and demogorgon to stay with Steve and I, to give us an extra line of defense. Our eyes scan the landscape around us, it has changed a lot since the last time we were here, everything looked way darker, buildings were almost completely in shambles. It is worse now that Vecna has all of his gates open to allow him into our world. Eleven and Eddie walk ahead of Steve and I, allowing themselves to be bait to draw out our enemy.

There is only the sound of loud thunder rolling across the reddened sky, that is until we hear a loud growling that seems to come from all around. Each pair of us turn to stand back to back, our eyes looking in every direction to find the source of the growling. The creatures snarl as they stand guard in front of Steve and I, “You really think you can defeat me Eleven?”, that dreadful voice echoes throughout the landscape. Soon our attention is brought to a figure that is floating in the air a few feet ahead of us, all eyes falling upon him, Vecna. I grip the reinforced makeshift spear in my hand, my anger over powers the fear that is flowing through my body. Steve’s hands tighten around the ax in his hands, his own anger overpowering fear as well, we are no longer scared of this monster, we are pissed and we all have something to fight for.