6| Path of escape

talking : " My name is Jeff "
whispering : " oh sheeeeeshhh "
screaming : " I AM QUEEN OF THE CASTLE!!! "
skills : [Gates of Babylon]
thoughts : Gilgamesh, is that you!?
threatening/ corrupted : Hoho!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[3rd POV]

" Damn it, why isn't it there... "

It has been three days since Hajime killed the Talon Bear. The three had been searching for the route leading to the upper floors and had already finished exploring eighty percent of this level. Eating the Talon Bear caused Hajime's status to jump again, and there was no longer anything that exists on this level which could threaten him now. This allowed him to hasten his search of the vast area in a quick pace, but despite that, nothing was found.

No, it is wrong to say that nothing was found. More precisely, it is the path "upstairs", "the path " "downstairs" had been discovered two days ago. The Dungeon's structure which consists of many floors will definitely have a path leading up, but no matter what he did, it simply couldn't be found.

Furthermore, ignoring the strange dungeon, the method of directly creating a path upstairs through transmutation had already been tried. In the end, no matter it was upwards or downwards, Hajime found out that after advancing a certain extent, somehow the walls become unresponsive to transmutation. 

There were no limits as to how much he transmuted within the level, but it might be covered in some sort of protection in regards to upwards and downwards. This [Orcus Great Dungeon] is a dungeon created since ancient times, and full of mysteries. It is hardly surprising.

That's why, he could only honestly search for a path up, but a decision has to be made should the path not be found. That was, to dive even deeper into the Great Dungeon.

"... Dead end huh. The branches have all been searched. What the heck is this. Sigh~ " Hajime let out a deep sigh while resigning himself that a path up couldn't be found. 

" Man, I thought our [Sound Wave] could do something to find directions like a bat, but no... Ughhh, let's continue " (Y/N) was a bit disappointed

Bats find their way in the darkness by listening to echoes. When bats fly they make a high-pitched sound (ultrasound) that bounce off objects in their path. The echoes give the bat information about where the objects are located so it will not crash into the object in the flight path. 

Similarly to that, (Y/N) and Kurumi thought when they use the skill [Sound Wave], it would echo around the whole floor to find a way. They even conveniently have [Enhanced senses], meaning they could hear better, they could be considered humanoid bats (well, (Y/N) is a vampire...) However, these skills don't seem to work that way, what a let down.

They headed towards the room where they discovered the stairs leading down two days ago.

That staircase was extremely poorly constructed. It might be more accurate to call it an uneven hill road rather than a staircase. From that point on, there were no longer any Green Light Stones, plunging the area ahead in complete darkness and oozing an ominous aura. It was like looking into the mouth of an enormous monster. The feeling of "It's impossible to leave once you've entered" naturally arose.

"Ha~! Bring it on! Whatever it is, if it hinders me, Kill and Devour."

" Oh! I've got one! " (Y/N) suddenly cheered up

" OOhhhh what is it? " Kurumi asked 

" Hehehe... " (Y/N) looked at Hajime with a grin

" What...? "