09 | are you an angel?

Api spoke up before Daun could even react.

"I'll go check," he volunteered. "You stay here in case anything happens."

It was infuriating that their moment was cut short, but Api could see that Daun wasn't fully mentally stable at the moment. His eyes were still in the midst of a foggy bay, returning to the light by the shore but not fully there.

Daun lurched forward, clinging onto his sleeve. "Don't leave me," he whimpered, shivering. "I don't wanna be alone."

Like a startled chicken, Api snapped his head between Daun and the groaning alleyway manically, limbs stiff in awkward angles. He had no experience in comforting others, rather his forte being in the complete opposite. He didn't know what he was supposed to do, with an emotionally vulnerable Daun and a dying human only meters away from them.

Should he hug Daun? Should he give him a pat on the back? Tell him it's going to be okay? he had a feeling that the last one would earn him a slap instead, and he wasn't sure if the former two were effective options in this predicament and weather.

Instead of any of those, Api clamped his hands on both of Daun's shoulders, squeezing his biceps ever so slightly. Daun was hanging his head, developing a sudden interest in the worn-down pavement.

"Listen, um—" Api cleared his throat, immensely thankful for the lack of pedestrians for the sappy things he was about to say. "I'm not good at comforting people, so... here goes nothing.

"Daun, I won't leave you, ever. Be it hell or heaven come, you can always turn to me. If you need help hiding a body, I'll gladly start digging. If you claimed that birds magically spawn in the space station to do your hair in the morning, I'd take your word for it.

"We can talk about this more if you want. But there's someone behind us, and they need help. If something happens, I want you to run while I hold it back. Understood?"

He's not sure if he said anything wrong. Hell, he's not even sure if Daun heard any of that. Daun nodded along anyway, loosening his grip on Api's sleeve. The blue fabric came away with a few new loose strands, but he doubted Taufan would mind.

"Stay close behind me," Api instructed, pointing to the alleyway with his thumb. "Remember to run if there's danger."

Daun's attempt in braving his voice was unsuccessful, the words coming out shaky and full of pitiful breaths in between syllables. "I'm not helpless."

"Do it for me," Api reiterated. "For my peace of mind."

Begrudgingly, Daun agreed, if only to close the argument to mask his uneasiness.

They approached the alleyway, using the brick wall as a medium of disguise. Api bent his body sideways, hiding most of himself from view using the wall as he poked his head into the dark hallway, squinting in suspicion.

Imagine his surprise when he realized that there was not one, but two lifeforms lurking in the alley. One of a purple robotic form, and the other of green skin and a cubed head.

The alien was crumpled on the ground, dirtied and visibly unwell. Dried blood caked his ratted clothes, dirt caked in the crevices of the crusty fabric. He appeared to be void of injury, so the blood must have come from a previous wound or somewhere else.

Though semi-conscious, he was able to form slurring moans and whimpers of pain, all the while the robotic assistant (?) fussed over him, panicking. Its model was considered outdated for the modern market, which was proved by the rust on its main body and jutting circuits from loose panels.

Have they been stranded here for some time?

Api's gut panged in sympathy. He may not know what the alien had gone through, but he knew what it was like to be stranded in an unkind land far from home.

Before he knew it, he had revealed his whole self, stepping into the alleyway. Daun called to him in urgency, but kept his promise to remain vigilant.

The afternoon light shone and framed him in an ethereal silhouette. Shadows masked his main features but only served to accentuate his outline, beams of light spilling everywhere as he took a step forward, as if he were carrying the remains of warmth with him.

The robot backed away in fright, leaving the alien alone on the floor.

"Are you okay?" he asked, towering over the fallen alien.

The alien's eyes fluttered open, lips hanging ajar as drool dripped down the sides of his cubicle face.

His pupils dilated as he stared straight at Api, not into his eyes but his entire form as a whole, like he was looking at him through a dream and recognizing him from another.

"Are you..." he croaked, raising a trembling hand towards him. "Are you an angel?"

Api blinked. "I'm a kid."

The alien coughed, spasming on the ground. "Am I dead?" he wheezed when he finished. "Have... have I finally reached heaven?"

The android flew over, knocking aside Api and shaking the alien's shoulders. "Mister Boss, you're still alive!" the robot cried in relief, throttling him like a maraca. "Thank you, angel! You saved Mister Boss!"

"I think you killed him a second time," Api commented dryly, grimacing when the alien flopped over lifelessly when the robot stopped.

"Mister Boss? Mister Boss?! Don't go into the light!!"

Maybe this was a mistake after all. Api looked behind his shoulder, where he saw confusion etched all over Daun's expression as he leaned over to assess the situation, gesturing with a palm to question the entirety of it all, where Api could only offer a meager shrug in return.

After calming down, the alien and his assistant explained everything in great detail, and a whole lot of exaggeration and sound effects. Api can't say it was the worst performance and retelling he'd seen, considering he knew how much Taufan sucked at summarizing stuff.

Api coughed into his fist. "So... you crash landed here years ago, tried to return or contact your family, but couldn't because of a bunch of meddling kids?"

"Annoying kids!" Adu Du corrected him, voice hoarse. "They got in every step of my way!"

Daun raised a hand. "You had a fully armed spaceship, with a weaponized drone for an assistant," he pointed out. "And three kids managed to best you?"

"If only it were that simple," Adu Du groaned. "Those brats snuck onto my ship, stole my most prized possession, and terrorized me for years! I was once a respected member of society, now look at me! Reduced to nothing but rags and filth, scrounging in trash for scraps."

"It was three kids," Api repeated.

"Who ruined me!"

Daun's eyebrow hiked to his hairline. "I'm finding this very difficult to believe."

"Please!" Adu Du threw himself to their feet, begging and pressing his square forehead to the floor. "You have to help me!"

Api and Daun whipped to each other, grimacing.

"Gah!" Air hissed, jerking away from Cahaya as if he were holding a knife.

He held his hand, fingers trembling like leaves in the wind. His teeth were clenched, glowering at the ripples of blue aura washing over his skin.

"It didn't work," Cahaya realized, crestfallen as he scratched off another line in his notes.

Air glared daggers into his skull. "That's what you're worried about?" he demanded, appalled. "How am I going to explain this?" He gestured to himself.

Cahaya rolled his eyes. "With how he's acting, I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't tell us apart. You'll be fine."

Air was about to retort, but he was cut off by a nearby toilet churning to life. He was out the door in record time, darting out the house to shake hands with the devil.