25.5 | it's cold

Where... am I...?

Halilintar opened his eyes to a dark space, no bigger than a cardboard box.

His hands were folded neatly on his chest, his legs straightened, toes pointed upwards.

It's cold.

The thin, smoothed out clothing he was wearing did nothing to keep the chilly air out. Every crevice in his body was freezing, not even the insides of his mouth spared from the onslaught. It was as if his bones were made of ice, his flesh sculpted by snow and sinews frost.

He tried to move his hands, but realized with fleeting panic that none of his limbs were responding. They remained still in their existing positions, like they were merely decorative wax figures. Only his eyes worked as they should, widened in a mixture of confusion and frenzy.

Pupils darting around, all he saw were closed walls from every end, not a single opening to be seen. The wooden walls were rotted and splintered, his head resting on a cotton cushion long deflated to time. Accompanied by a low ceiling near his face, it was almost like he was in a...

Halilintar looked downwards to a shower of flickering gold. He could not turn his head, but he could clearly see his heart pulsating with waves of electricity, providing what he desperately needed.

The light filled the closed area, filling up every hidden crevice in the space. Halilintar looked around, analyzed each angle, length and width—

It couldn't be.

All at once, panic, disbelief and fear finally settled into his lifeless, non-beating heart.

No. Nononononono—

It can't be.

Halilintar wanted to scream, but his vocal chords no longer worked. They hadn't—not for years.