Chapter 8

Nocturne No.1 in B flat minor, Op.9 No.1. Frédéric Chopin.

TW: mentions of smut.

A few hours later and it was already morning. You checked on the kids, giving them breakfast and spending a few hours outside with them before the others came down as well. The kids were already looking better. Colour returned to their faces and had more energy than before. It brought you a sense of peace to know that they trust you and are happy.

The little girl with the white hair, Anastasia was her name. She was constantly by your side. She held your hand instead of playing with the others. Not that you minded. For someone who hasn't experienced much, she was able to talk your ear off.

The Avengers' expressions however were a grave contrast compared to the children's. While their faces were starting to seem more bright, the way a child's face should look. The Avengers all seemed stuck in their own heads.

"Who do you think you are." Natasha storms into the room, pointing an accusing finger in your face. "Who gave you the right to keep us from missions." You were perplexed having no idea where she was coming from. "She didn't give the order Nat I did," Steve tells her. While she looked like she was going to kill you her expression was soft towards Steve.

"But,-" He came closer to her setting themselves in a more personal environment than as if he were the Captain. "Nat. We just went through something that we were disgustingly unprepared for. Not only that but we also saw the things that keep us up late at night amplified." Steve sighs, running his hand through his hair. "We are not in the right frame of mind to be going on a mission as of now." Romanoff seems to back down, agreeing with Steve. Yet you assumed if you or anyone else for that matter told her the same thing she'd snap their head off.

"What if an urgent mission comes or those creatures take more kids?" Natasha asks. Purely out of curiosity rather than an argumentative question. "I think 3 enhanced, two gods and a vibranium synthezoid can handle their own." It took a moment for Romanoff's mind to catch up on who each individual was. Probably assessing each one mentally. Then it clicked in both of your minds. You were the third. "I thought she wasn't fighting." You didn't miss the way how she always referred you to 'her' or 'she' never by name.

"And Y/N won't be. Unless it's needed. She is more of a backup." Steve said, clearing everyone's thoughts. They respected your wishes of staying on the sidelines. What happened yesterday was a fluke. Something that can't happen again. Yet you want to be the one who stops Sin. You have to be the one. For everything she has done, there was no other way.

Nothing more was said after Steve announced that everyone will be taking a break from the mission for the time being. It will depend on each individual when they can return depending on if the guilt is still fresh. You needed a clear mind in the field. That much you knew, first hand really.

Breakfast came and went. Fairly quiet save the small talk around the table. After everyone was done they went their separate ways. You stayed back to finish the cleaning and many baked some more treats for the kids.

The hairs on the back of your neck stood up. You knew you were being watched. "Come out you two and ask what you want." Loki and Wanda appeared standing a lot closer than you initially thought. Magic. That was the only reasonable answer. "So when you said that your relationship with Barnes was complicated. You meant you were in love." You sighed, wiping your hands dry.

"It's complicated." They both looked at you with twin expressions not saying a word. Their faces gave it away that they didn't believe you. "We were trapped there for years. It was always us against them. It was kinda hard not to fall in love." At first, you didn't believe that you were in love. That it was more because of the circumstances and that he was in the same boat as you. You tried for so long to believe that it wasn't real love. But some sort of force kept bringing you together.